1. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

2. The forum you are viewing relates to Kayako Classic. If you signed up or upgraded to the new Kayako (after the 4th July 2016), the information in this thread may not apply to you. You can visit the forums for the new Kayako here.

add "Reply via Email" button or Something.....

Discussion in 'Developing, APIs and extending' started by Christos, May 24, 2016.

1. Christos

Christos Member

Hello,

Just wondering if it is possible to add a "Reply via Email" button (instead of just the standard "Reply" button).

The reason for this is that some in-line attachments (typically staff do a copy/paste from Word, Outlook or some kind of screenshot) do not format correctly in the web page version when we use the built-in Reply button in the ticket system, however if we send them via email these pasted items work and format just fine.
    So it would seem that we need some kind of way for staff to hit a button and Kayako would open up the staff's default mail client (Outlook) and pre-populaate the ticket ID in the subject field and address it to our ticketing system.

Or maybe someone has another suggestion? I am looking for some way to make this easier/quicker for staff to generate an actual email rather than a web version reply via the helpdesk.

Thanks!
    C

2. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

Is it mostly images you are pasting which are not working for you?

Gary

3. Christos

Christos Member

Hi Gary,
    Sometimes, yes, with images we like them to appear in the ticket reply instead of as an attachment.
    Is also the formatting of text, so for example if someone copies/pastes from Outlook, Word, or Excel, it does not maintain the formatting, it seems to convert it to plain text, so it loses all its spacing and formatting.

The only way we seem to overcome this is by having the staff email the reply to Kayako. This works great.

4. Christos

Christos Member

The other pain-in-the-butt issue is when someone tries to attach an MSG or EML message to the ticket as well.
    The Email parser just simply ignores these even though they are an allowed file types. It attaches them to the ticket but they are not readily viewable, you have to save and rename them to make them readable.

5. Christos

Christos Member

Hi Gary,
    Say, I wonder if your WYSIWYG Editor project might solve some of these issues we're having??

It should maintain formatting I would think?

C

6. Gary McGrath

Yes, it will maintain formatting, but it also allows for the copy/paste/drag/drop of images into the content ( which are not sent as attachments )

So it sounds like a lot of your issues will be solved by that. For the eml problem, is it attaching them an eml/msg file?

Gary

7. Christos

Christos Member

Yes, if staff attach an EML or MSG email to a ticket it is not readable. Basically Kayako strips off the file extension and renames it to attachment_1, attachment_2, and so on.....

Cheers,
    C

8. Christos

Christos Member

We currently work around the formatting/image issue by replying to a ticket via email rather than by using the "Reply" tab in Kayako itself. Pain in the ass to do but this does work for us. I was looking for an easier way of performing this task of creating the email for staff as it is quite involved trying to recreate an email with the proper Subject line and Ticket ID along with ticket content.

I will give this editor a try and see what happens.

Still need to find a solution to the EML/MSG attachment issue.....

Thanks!
    C

9. Gary McGrath

Ok, for the EML, MSG thing, what version of Kayako are you using? we added support for those file types in a recent build.

Gary

10. Christos

Christos Member

We're a little behind, running 4.69. What's the latest version?

11. Gary McGrath

4.73 ( but note we are in the final QA rounds of 4.74 ( which has HUGE HUGE features added ) so if you can stomach it, I would wait a couple of weeks :D

Gary