API Errors

Discussion in 'Developing, APIs and extending' started by Roger H, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Roger H

Roger H New Member

I am trying to set up a simple form on my main website that will allow our customers to contact us, which will in turn create a ticket in Kayako. I am using the API and doing the best I can, but honestly haven't ever done anything with an API before.

I created the form I want with the required fields, no problem.

Using the info I found here - http://dropdeaddick.com/2011/kayako-api-how-to-post-a-ticket/ I created a page to submit my form to, using $_POST variables to fill in the information needed and changing the department and tickettype ids as I needed. One thing I wasn't sure of was is I changed the $staffid to $userid, since it will be our customers using it but since it isn't an existing customer necessariily i just left the id number blank ( '' ).

I changed the api url to http://mydomain.kayako.com/api/index.php?/Core/Test test it, submitting gives me a long string of mainly page format, with a Error 404 and a

Code:
    [1] => SimpleXMLElement Object ( [a] => Click to go back to the helpdesk home page ) [2] => "Default" Controller OR a DEFAULT Controller in SWIFT App "Core" for Interface "api" does not exist (DEFAULT-MAIN) ) ) ) )
    string.

Any suggestions or recommendations to get this working?

2. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

If you want simple and quick, can't you use any form control you want on the website and direct the contents to your help desk address?
    You don't need the API to do that.

3. Roger H

Roger H New Member

Thanks for the response masterctrl1. If you are suggesting having the customer fill a form on our website, then redirecting to our help desk and automatically filling in the already submitted information, no, that won't work. To get the main help desk ready I have to do a lot of information adding and design matching and I don't want anyone to see the main help desk until that is done. I do want to use the back end ticket management, and use a form on our site to submit to that.

If you know some way to create a ticket without viewing the main help desk and without using the API, I am all ears!

4. Drew Keller

Drew Keller Just one person in a world of millions.

Roger,

Have you looked at the WIKI http://wiki.kayako.com/display/DEV/Kayako Developer Resources Home the page you referenced is not by Kayako and was from 2011 there has been alot of changes since then, so it is possible the API approach they talk about may no longer be valid.

If you wanted a very simple submit form then you could just have the form send an email to your Kayako email queue, the only thing you would need to consider is being able to send the form based email as the users email.

5. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

As Drew mentions, I meant the form on your site sends the form content to your ticketing address just like any other email sent to your helpdesk address creates a ticket.
    The customer doesn't see the help desk at all.
    While this can't handle anything other than subject and body text as far as the ticket goes, your form can still ask questions, include dropdowns, etc. and package that as body text to start a ticket.

6. Paul Coffey

Paul Coffey Member

Roger, we've connected our website contact form to ticket creation using the method suggested above by Drew (i.e. the contact form sends an email to an address specified in a ticket queue). The new ticket is created, and then any further correspondence between the client and our staff is linked to that ticket ID. This system works very well for us.