Whilst building up the sample workflows in the trial, I noted an error whilst submitting a note. Quick background to the setup. Trigger 1: Condition: "Cases: Team", "not equal to", "Gold (PST)" AND Condition: "Organisation: User Group", "equal to", "Gold (GMT)" (User Group is a Organisational Field) Action 1: "Cases: Team", "Change", "Gold (PST)" As you may have noted from previous posts, this tried to mimic some of our workflow, by enforcing a team being allocated to a Case (a SLA is then setup, with a condition based on the team, attaching the SLA to the Case). However!! I see a problem with one of my cases (for ref my test account is backsythsla, case 2). When I attempted to add a Note to the Case, I get a error pop up saying "organizationfields.user_group not found in context". Secondary tests show this also happens when I change status for example. I can see why this happens, as said Requester is not assigned to an Organisation, which has clear implications to the trigger above. When trying to add the note, the content I attempted to add still shows in the editor and does not show as added to the timeline. Yet refreshing the screen clearly shows it was added (and does not show till I refresh, but the editor is still showing my note I tried to add). I explored if this can be worked around, such as other conditions on the trigger. e.g. is Organisation is NULL, but there are no conditions for this.