1. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

2. The forum you are viewing relates to Kayako Classic. If you signed up or upgraded to the new Kayako (after the 4th July 2016), the information in this thread may not apply to you. You can visit the forums for the new Kayako here.

Comparison matrix of Classic with New?

Discussion in 'Upgrading to the new Kayako' started by Brausmith, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Brausmith

Brausmith New Member

Is there a comparison matrix of the Classic features to the New features?
    In particular how the features match with the different New licensing tiers?

2. bear

bear Kayako Guru

Little point remaining on or starting out with Classic. All the feature requests from years past were rolled into the new version; none into Classic. Support and updates for Classic are simply not happening, especially since the buyout of the company, and it's just a matter of time they do away with it (again).

I also wouldn't expect any sort of support reply here in the forum, as it's been mostly abandoned by staff. For a while it was completely overrun by spammers, but even that's died off, which I doubt is due to any effort in the back end.

Classic is severely overpriced and neglected, in my opinion. If you're set on using Kayako anyway, that's your call, but there are other support desks out there.

3. Brausmith

Brausmith New Member

I appreciate your time to reply, but we have been using Classic forever, and we are looking at an upgrade. Hence wondering what the equivalent plan in for the New version. We are also looking at alternatives.
    Also, thanks for pointing out the activity in this forum, it did seem a little dead. It's typically a bad sign of the product's future.

4. supportskins

supportskins Kayako Guru

I agree with bear. I also noticed Kayako using Zendesk for their own support which suggests all is not well.

5. Gary Chefetz

Gary Chefetz New Member

We have done tons of work on Classic the past year including porting it to PHP 7.3 - rich text editing, drag and drop images, modernized the interface.
    Brausmith, I suggest that you spin up a free trial and explore for yourself. New Kayako is a completely different platform so it's difficult to compare the two.
    Supportskins, Kayako is now part of a much larger company. Our central teams used ZD long before we purchased Kayako. The goal is to move everyone to Kayako, but it's going to take a lot of effort and we need to finish our contract with ZD.

6. bear

bear Kayako Guru

And who are you?

7. Gurpreet Singh

Gurpreet Singh Staff Member

Hey there!

Gary is the VP of Sales and Customer Success at Kayako.

8. bear

bear Kayako Guru

December 21, 2016: "4.76 is out, but the docs say PHP 7 isn't supported?"
    Kayako: It is still on our list, but we had to push it back, as there are significant things which break with PHP7 and Kayako classic
    Thread: http://forums.kayako.com/threads/php-5-6.38950/#post-185143

"Kayako Acquired by ESW Capital": Mar 14, 2018

June 23, 2019: "We are excited to announce the release of much awaited Kayako Classic version with PHP 7 support. It supports PHP 7.1 and above versions."
    Nearly three years apart, and 15 months after you folks took over.

It's almost 2 years since the Kayako purchase. How long a contract do you have?

Try to bear in mind, for many of us, the version of Kayako we had before this licensing shift were unlimited seat licenses that were rarely updated by the company. Kayako was known for incredibly long delays in fixes and features. When the move to SAAS was announced, a really long list of requests in this very forum were responded to, just to say they would not be in "Classic", but were rolled into the new SAAS version.
    Bitter pill that.
    To make things even more unpleasant, the new pricing model was released, which reduced our unlimited licenses to "per seat" and subscription, at greatly increased cost..and all that for a product that historically received little to no attention. If we did move to that subscription model, no longer paying for our OWNED license meant no more access to our data.
    Another bitter pill.
    Then it was announced it was being killed off. Many of us need to keep data local only, for various reasons, so using the new version was not an option. Based on user feedback, it was kept, but the cost massively increased to do so. The price listed at the time for a new license to the very same version was $11,499, if memory serves. Of late, the cost would be $39/m per seat, or $468 per seat for each year.
    Last straw (and rather bitter as well).
    For that $468/y license cost, I'm able to buy someone else's product, with unlimited seats and branding free.
    After the way we've been treated, as long time customers, why should we remain with Kayako?