1. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

Creating a phpinfo() page

Discussion in 'Technical chat' started by Jamie Edwards, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Staff Member

How to create a phpinfo page

All versions of PHP come with a very simple and endlessly useful information function:
    PHP:
    phpinfo();
    Calling this function inside a PHP page will list all of your PHP configuration information in a tabular format.

1. Open up a simple text editor like Notepad or Textpad (not Microsoft Word or similar).

2. Paste in the following PHP code:
    PHP:
    <?php
      phpinfo
    ();
    ?>
    3. Save the file as phpinfo.php.

4. Upload to your webserver.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. Jamie Edwards

3. supportskins

supportskins Kayako Guru

Below every user profile (while viewing threads) a phpinfo() option is being displayed. You might want to look into that.

4. Jamie Edwards

Hi supportskins,

Can you clarify what you mean?

EDIT: Understood and fixed :)

5. supportskins

supportskins Kayako Guru

No problem :)

Regards,

Hiren Mehta

6. Sheep

Sheep New Member

I don't think that it's wise to show phpinfos to everyone. That kind of informations should only be displayed to trusted users.

7. craigbrass

craigbrass Experienced Member

I suppose it is a security risk to show everyone. Security holes in packages installed could be exploited.

8. Jamie Edwards

Search engine spiders will not follow the link to your phpinfo pages (rel="nofollow").

I will soon be adding a switch that will only allow your phpinfo link to be viewable by Kayako staff. However, fewer people may be able to help you if you used this option.

9. craigbrass

Could you by any chance add me and Hiren to the list of people who can view as we are regular helpers here?

10. Jamie Edwards

Possibly, but it becomes a bit disconcerting when the label says "Only visible to Kayako Staff and X, Y, Z..." - especially when the user(s) are new. There are better solutions to that problem - I'll wait until after Christmas and see will be done.

There are also a few other changes I am planning to the forums, such as having to verify your customer identity (automatic database lookup) before being able to download community modifications, language packs and so on.

11. craigbrass

Would that not remove the "open-to-everyone-ness" the forum currently has?

12. Jamie Edwards

The forums will be open to everyone, but in order to download attachments from the contribution forums you would have to enter your customer e-mail address - a discussion on the topic will be opened soon.

13. craigbrass

I still disagree with it. I can understand why you are doing it (piracy, etc) but it will take away the open community feel the place has.

If you do do it tho, do it the other way around. Allow users to go into the members area and add a number of usernames that are permitted access as one company may have multiple staff who need access.

14. Jamie Edwards

I don't think there would be a need for that - I am thinking of something more simple where in your profile you can add (in addition to your own) the main customer contact address and a licensed domain for verification - making it pretty much unobtrusive. Ideas or concerns can be expressed when I open the discussion soon, though - anything is far from being implemented yet.

15. IVGJ

IVGJ New Member

Hi Jamie.
    Your hyper text in your first post doesnt work. If you click on it the pages isnt getting displayed. Is there a way around to fix that or another article of something the same.
    Regards.
    IVGJ.