1. Welcome to the feedback forum. Here's some tips for giving your suggestions the best shot:
    • Search before posting: See if someone else has already posted your suggestion. If you add your support to an existing, you're more likely to bubble up the request.
    • Keep one suggestion to one thread: Try not to club lots of different suggestions together in one thread. Otherwise, people will get confused about what they're voting for and we might miss your feedback.
  2. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

3. The forum you are viewing relates to Kayako Classic. If you signed up or upgraded to the new Kayako (after the 4th July 2016), the information in this thread may not apply to you. You can visit the forums for the new Kayako here.

Fix parsing of "Lastname, Firstname" name syntax

Discussion in 'Kayako product feedback and suggestions' started by Martin von Wittich, Jun 15, 2015.

1. We sometimes receive mails from customers where the sender name is formatted as "Lastname, Firstname" instead of "Firstname Lastname". In the mail headers, that looks like this:

From: "Lastname, Firstname" <firstname.lastname@example.com>

Unfortunately, Kayako removes the comma when creating the appropriate user, so in this case, we get a user like this:

Name: Lastname Firstname

I think that's pretty confusing. Kayako should either parse these names correctly (e.g. "Lastname, Firstname" becomes "Firstname Lastname"), or it shouldn't remove the comma.

2. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Staff Member

Hey Martin

Interesting, I agree this could be better. How do you think Kayako should approach:
    doing this?

3. Hi Jamie,

Originally I thought one might just check that the string only contains a single comma, and then split it at the comma and swap the parts, but the more I look at actual data (I've parsed the From headers from 62000 real mails on our server), the less I think that this is actually a good idea. I've found a lot of edge cases that aren't easily solvable:

Firstname Lastname, Company
    Lastname, Firstname - Company
    Company Firstname Lastname, Role
    Company, Firstname Lastname
    Lastname, Company
    Firstname, Company

The best idea is probably not to parse the user name at all ^^

4. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Staff Member

Wow Martin. thanks for going to that effort - really appreciate it. We did some of our own analysis and came to the same conclusion; I wondered if you have spotted something else, i.e. in email headers, that we had overlooked. We'll think through how to improve this :)

5. Collin Hames

Collin Hames New Member

Was this ever implemented? We still have this as an annoyance.