1. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

2. The forum you are viewing relates to Kayako Classic. If you signed up or upgraded to the new Kayako (after the 4th July 2016), the information in this thread may not apply to you. You can visit the forums for the new Kayako here.

Funny characters truncate ticket posts

Discussion in 'Using Kayako Classic' started by Don Dunlop, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Don Dunlop

Don Dunlop Member

Hi All.

Having some trouble with odd characters in the body of an incoming email causing the email to be truncated. I'm pretty sure I know why this is happening, just not how to stop it.

The specific character is a smiley face:
    If that is included in an email everything after that is truncated.

All our incoming mail is copied to a journal account so I am able to see the 'raw' email and can see that it is chopped right at this character. I also looked at the relevant record in swticketposts and the 'contents' field is truncated at that point, so the truncation is happening on the incoming parser phase, not the display phase.

To get a better idea of what this character is I forwarded the raw email from the journal to my Thunderbird account and took a look at the source of the email -- the smiley face character shows as '😊' in the email source.

So I know it's this weird character causing the problem, and for this specific ticket it's not a major issue, but I'm concerned that for other tickets important information could be lost.

Can anyone suggest how we can strip these characters (and similar) or otherwise prevent them from causing the incoming message to be chopped? We are running Kayako Fusion 4.65.

Many thanks
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

Hi Don,

On your webserver, what version of PHP are you running? ( I am thinking maybe its 5.3 )

3. Don Dunlop

Don Dunlop Member

Hi Gary.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the PHP version is 5.3, specifically: PHP 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.13.

4. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

Hi Don,

I would highly recommend you upgrade your php version to 5.4 or 5.5, as there are known issues with 5.3, and I believe this is one of them.

5. Don Dunlop

Don Dunlop Member

Hi Gary.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to upgrade my PHP version right now but will try to do that as soon as possible. I'll post a follow-up here when done to say whether this solved the issue.

Thanks again.
  6. Torbjörn S.

Torbjörn S. Reputed Member

I had a similar problem with tickets getting cut after specific characters in the subject.
    See this JIRA-issue. Hope it is to any help.
    I've got a fix for this that I can give you if you want to try it.

7. Don Dunlop

Don Dunlop Member

Hi Tobbe

Thanks for your input on this... sorry I didn't reply earlier. Been up to my ears here. Your post says "see this JIRA-issue" but I don't get a link. Is that my system or did the link get missed...? Any chance you could repost? I'd be interested to see what it says.

8. Torbjörn S.

Torbjörn S. Reputed Member

This is what we had trouble with and it is in the latest release. 4.67
    I saw that umlauts in the mailsubject caused the problem for us.

SWIFT-4227 - Non-ASCII characters in email subjects in some clients causes the subject to truncate

Hope this is fixing your error.

9. Krisz

Krisz New Member

We have php 5.5 and Kayako Download 4.67.0 and still have this issue (I mean Kayako truncates email at smiley (EmojiFont).
    Can someone advise wht to do?
    Thanks in advance