1. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

2. The forum you are viewing relates to Kayako Classic. If you signed up or upgraded to the new Kayako (after the 4th July 2016), the information in this thread may not apply to you. You can visit the forums for the new Kayako here.

How to implement Google Custom Search as a replacement for Kayako Search ??

Discussion in 'Installation and setup (Kayako Classic Download)' started by JackQODBC, Feb 5, 2014.

1. JackQODBC

JackQODBC New Member

I have a Kayako support site and I want to integrate Google Custom Search as a replacement for Kayako Search.

Google search works and we would like to simply replace the search component in the Public Facing side of Kayako 4 Knowledgebase.

So please suggest me, How can I implement Google Custom Search as a replacement for Kayako Search ??

2. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

Hi Jack,

I have not tried to do this myself, but I imagine the google custom search gives you some java script to place somewhere, and then maybe some follow on code where you want the search box and results to render?

If so, I think you would need to put the main java script into the header template in the admin CP, and then place the other code parts in the relevant templates, such as searchresults template

Gary

3. JackQODBC

JackQODBC New Member

Hi Gary,

Would it possible to share some sample example??

Regards,
    Jack

4. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

Great. So the solution to the ever-broken, blame-it-on-MySQL-instead-of-fixing-it Kayako visitor search is to replace it with yet another code hack.

5. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

Hi Jack,

I don't actually have the google code, I believe when you sign up for it, they generate code, and that's the code you would have to it, and then its a case of working out where its best to put that code to run the google search.

Gary

6. Saurabh Singla

Saurabh Singla Kayako Staff

Hello Jack,

To replace the Kayako Search with the Google Custom Search on your help desk support center use the following steps:

Go to Google Custom Search Engine and sign in using a Google account. Once there, click on New Search Engine and provide your Kayako help desk URL. . Click on Create button to proceed to the next step.

On the next page, you will see a notification that you have successfully created your custom search engine. You will be presented with an option to add it to your site or get the public URL. To add this custom search engine in your Kayako Help desk click on the Get Code button.

Now copy that code and login to the help desk Admin CP.

You need to modify the header template as follows:

1) Go to Admin CP > Templates > Templates > General.
    2) Then under header template replace the following code:

====================
    <form method="post" id="searchform" action="<{$_baseName}><{$_templateGroupPrefix}>/Base/Search/Index" name="SearchForm">
    <div class="searchboxcontainer">
    <div class="searchbox">
    <span class="searchbuttoncontainer">
    <a class="searchbutton" href="javascript: void(0);"
    onclick="$('#searchform').submit();"><span></span><{$_language[searchbutton]}></a>
    </span>
    <span class="searchinputcontainer"><input type="text" name="searchquery"
    class="searchquery" onclick="javascript: if ($(this).val() == '<{$_language[pleasetypeyourquestion]}>' || $(this).val() ==
    '<{$_language[pleasetypeyourquery]}>') { $(this).val('').addClass('searchqueryactive'); }" value="<{if $_baseIndex == true}
    ><{$_language[pleasetypeyourquestion]}><{else}><{$_language[pleasetypeyourquery]}><{/if}>" /></span>
    </div>
    </div>
    </form>
    =======================

with the code you have generated from google. And finally rebuild your help desk cache using http://helpdesk_url/staff/index.php?/Core/Default/RebuildCache

Check my support center snapshot at http://screencast.com/t/JgKxcKNxpt

Regards,

Saurabh Singla

JackQODBC likes this.
  7. JackQODBC

JackQODBC New Member

Hi Saurabh,

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will try it on this weekend & let you know.

8. Saurabh Singla

You are most welcome, please let me know if you face any issue.

Regards,

Saurabh Singla

9. JackQODBC

JackQODBC New Member

Hi Saurabh,

I have successfully implemented Google Custom Search as a replacement for Kayako Search.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. :)

Regards,
    Jack

10. Saurabh Singla

Hi Jack,

I am glad to know that.

Regards,

Saurabh Singla

11. Kornika King

Kornika King Member

Hi!

I've been able to implement Google CSE however, I have a question that maybe someone here can answer: how do I get my search results to display in an overlay if I only want the CSE search box to appear?

12. Kornika King

Kornika King Member

Disregard the above. I have found the style sheets.

13. MichelZ

MichelZ New Member