Image uploads in knowledgebase articles

Discussion in 'New ideas, bigger features' started by Mle, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Mle

Mle Established Member

This feature would be HUGE and probably not too difficult to pull off code-wise myself but I figured to run it past you first.

When inserting a KnowledgeBase article the ability to actually upload an image within the body of the message would be HUGE.

Right now, it looks a lot like .net Nuke which is rather ugly just like v3. You can only use an image that's manually FTP'd up to the server or on a service like picasa or photobucket, etc. I know there are attachments but then those aren't in the body of the message. I was really hoping v4 would have this but this is one of the main things I was disappointed to find missing.

This makes more user-friendly knowledge-base articles nearly impossible to create by the less tech savvy.

-Mike
  2. Paul_Concep

Paul_Concep Member

We would love to see this too and would ad huge value to the product.
  3. DavePB

DavePB Member

+1 for that - I was also hoping it would be there in V4 as we have plans to move our knowledgebase from our present phpBB system to our new Kayako CRM so staff don't have to keep switching between the 2.
  4. Makc666

Makc666 Established Member

I also hoped that V4 will have such option.

Even phpBB3 have such one :D
  5. Paul_Concep

Paul_Concep Member

bump

Can we have a reply from Kayako about if this will be added?
  6. Mle

Mle Established Member

please?

we asked nicely.... =)
  7. Mle

Mle Established Member

Track new features here... There was nothing about the troubleshooter on here so this may not be the greatest representation of actual new features on the list. We'll see....

Kayako JIRA - New features & improvements
  8. emerging

emerging New Member

Me too

Agreed this is a key feature that should be incorporated
  9. ironfist

ironfist Established Member

I can't believe they have not added this, everyone has been asking for this since V3 and the 2 main wysiwyg editors CKEDITOR and TINYMCE both include integrated file managers. This is one of the core features we have been waiting for as the KB is quite a PITA for us without it as we need to put images in a lot of our articles.
  10. Mle

Mle Established Member

I know, I hate the DotNetNuke-esk (circa 2003) file manager they've got. It is a total PITA.

It's almost easier to create the whole page somewhere else and use an iframe in the knowledgebase >.< [​IMG]
  11. alvaro.madrid

alvaro.madrid Established Member

12. LabStats_Clint

LabStats_Clint New Member

I uploaded the image files to the images directory in the client theme of kayako and just referenced the static url's to those images within the image tool in the kb articles and have large high quality images in my articles. Only annoyance was putting the image files in the image directory via smartftp.
  13. Mle

Mle Established Member

We have thought about that and it just takes too much time for our support center to upload via ftp then reference the URL. We also need other non-IT departments to get into drafting the articles and it really must be more user-friendly to ask them to do this.
  14. malocite

malocite Member

I'm concerned that this has been ranked as a TRIVIAL item on Swift. This is actually a vital feature needed to use the knowledgebase. What good is a knowledgebase article if you cannot upload screenshots? These features already exist in wordpress and nearly every other CMS under the son, include MCE which this is based on, why does Kayako not simply update this to the current feature to allow for this?

This lack of functionality is holding us back from deploying this fully to our customers.
  15. Paul_Concep

Paul_Concep Member

+1

Also I would like to say it is very high on my list of wants. Uploading images each time to the server becoming really tiresome.
  16. chrisrouse

chrisrouse Reputed Member

Definitely a needed feature.
  17. BrianG

BrianG New Member

Add my vote please. I'm surprised during evaluation that it didn't have it already. These days pictures in knowledgebases are common and expected, and the current method requires a fair bit of work.
  18. nathan kelly

nathan kelly New Member

can't believe this hasn't yet been added, for those who have kayako installed rather than hosted here is an open source (free) solution:

http://www.neele.name/filebrowser/

Download the above and extract to the following folder in your kayako install:
    "/support/__swift/thirdparty/TinyMCE/plugins/pdw_file_browser"

Edit the tinyMce loader in "\__swift\themes\admin_default\core.js" to include a call back for the file browser (file_browser_callback : "filebrowser"):

Code:
    function LoadTinyMCE() {
        if (!$('.tinymce').length) {
            return false;
        }

$('.tinymce').tinymce({
            // General options
            script_url : swiftpath + '__swift/thirdparty/TinyMCE/tiny_mce_gzip.php',
            theme : "advanced",
            plugins : "safari,pagebreak,style,layer,table,save,advhr,advimage,advlink,emotions,iespell,inlinepopups,insertdatetime,preview,media,searchreplace,print,contextmenu,paste,directionality,fullscreen,noneditable,visualchars,nonbreaking,xhtmlxtras,template",

// Theme options
            theme_advanced_buttons1 : "formatselect,fontselect,fontsizeselect,|,bold,italic,underline,strikethrough,|,justifyleft,justifycenter,justifyright,justifyfull,|,forecolor,backcolor",
            theme_advanced_buttons2 : "cut,copy,paste,pastetext,pasteword,|,search,replace,|,bullist,numlist,|,outdent,indent,blockquote,|,undo,redo,|,link,unlink,anchor,image,cleanup,code,|,insertdate,inserttime,preview",
            theme_advanced_buttons3 : "tablecontrols,|,hr,removeformat,visualaid,|,sub,sup,|,charmap,media,advhr,pagebreak|,ltr,rtl,|,fullscreen",
            theme_advanced_toolbar_location : "top",
            theme_advanced_toolbar_align : "left",
            theme_advanced_statusbar_location : "bottom",
            theme_advanced_resizing : true,
    //        force_br_newlines : true,
            force_p_newlines : true,
            forced_root_block : '',
            content_css : swiftpath + '__swift/themes/admin_default/tinymce.css',
            file_browser_callback : "filebrowser"
        });
    };
    Add the following function after:
    Code:
    function filebrowser(field_name, url, type, win) {

fileBrowserURL = "/support/__swift/thirdparty/TinyMCE/plugins/pdw_file_browser/index.php?editor=tinymce&filter=" + type;

tinyMCE.activeEditor.windowManager.open({
            title: "PDW File Browser",
            url: fileBrowserURL,
            width: 950,
            height: 650,
            inline: 0,
            maximizable: 1,
            close_previous: 0
          },{
            window : win,
            input : field_name
          }
        );
    }
    delete everything in the cache folder - "/support/__swift/cache"

done.
    Mle and garyGBM like this.
  19. Mle

Mle Established Member

It's not pretty but it should get the job done in the meantime while we wait for a response from Kayako on this one. I will give it a try
  20. Mle

Mle Established Member

Works pretty well. It will even do Jing videos (you have to add swf to the allow extensions and increase the upload size).

Like I said, it's not pretty and requires ~10 clicks to get a single image in but it gets the job done in the mean time.