1. This sub-forum relates to Kayako 3, which is now end-of-life. Please be aware that a lot of information relating to features, sales and the roadmap in the Kayako 3 forums is now outdated or defunct (no longer applicable).

If unsure about anything, please create a new thread or contact us.

You can visit the main forums for the latest Kayako here.

IMap removes messages from server? Stupidity...

Discussion in 'Email piping' started by RobertBasil, Oct 24, 2008.

1. RobertBasil

RobertBasil Member

Background:

I am the Internet Systems Manager for our company, I have been a mail server admin and DBA for 15+ years. So when I ask this question understand that I am not someone who does not know what he is talking about...

I fail to realize why your Imap option would choose to remove messages from the server automatically without the client choosing to do so and have no option available to leave messages on the server. The purpose of Imap is to SYNC with the server and only remove messages IF they are deleted by the client. If you are going to remove messages from the server automatically without an option to leave them on the server then why even offer Imap as an option?

In fact when I talked to your support department they told me that this was a setting on my server. And your software was not removing the messages. TOTALLY WRONG!

I read another message in the forum from one of the developers (John Haugeland) that stated: "This is how the product works. The manual is fairly clear on the point. Not a bug"

Well, it might not be a bug, but it does not work as a standard Imap connection should. So instead of using the standard of Imap you just connect to the Imap port on a server and then treat it like a POP account. And instead of explaining this in the feature list to us before we spend hours of our time configuring the software you expect people to read the manual about a broken feature.

Yes, I'm pissed. :mad:

Oh, and if you want to know why we want to leave a copy of the messages on our server. We do not want the only copy of support requests to be stored on Kayako's server (we are on a hosted account with Kayako). We also want to save incoming email on our email server as well just in case.

---
    Robert Basil
    Information Systems Manager
    Plexus Worldwide, Inc.
    7025 East Greenway Parkway
    Suite #250
    Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Email: robert@plexusworldwide.com
    Phone: 877-281-8333 x110
    Fax: 877-281-8322

2. RobertBasil

RobertBasil Member

So since we have no way to check our Imap account without deleting all of the email from the server....

What email address are we supposed to forward our email's to for a hosted Kayako account? We only have 3 users on the system so far, but we need a default account to send to that all of the users can view incoming emails for.

3. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Chief Limey Staff Member

Hi Robert,

Kayako SupportSuite is not a usual e-mail client. SupportSuite is designed to manage your e-mail as tickets, not provide you with a client service to interface with an IMAP e-mail server just as Microsoft Outlook or Thunderbird would. It is designed to take control of your e-mail, not give you an interface to it as a client. Hence, this is by design.

I am sorry you were told this, as the information is incorrect. Please can you tell me where you were told this (a ticket or a chat - if the former, please can you post your ticket ID?).

I am not sure whether or not we plan to implement "don't delete" support in Version 4 (our next product line overhaul), but I will check and get back to you.

4. Jamie Edwards

support@[yourname].helpserve.com. This was mentioned in your account creation e-mail. If you would like additional aliases, we can create them for you. Please contact support if this is the case.

5. RobertBasil

RobertBasil Member

I understand that, but to offer Imap as an option and then not to state somewhere in the control panel before hand that it does not act like a normal Imap client and will remove all email from your server would be nice.

I was told this in Chat a little over an hour ago.

Jamie, thanks as always for your help. It's just when all of our email is deleted from our server without warning it can cause a big headache when I have to revert to a backup of the email server from the night before.

6. Jamie Edwards

Answered in my post above :)

7. RobertBasil

RobertBasil Member

Email forwarding time?

Sorry, wrong thread. Please delete this post.

8. webawere

webawere Member

I was a bit surprised also...

I expect Kayako to read ONLY the unread messages from the imap mailbox. Not more, not less.

That way the mailbox can act as a backup for all incoming mail messages.

9. Joost Sanders

Joost Sanders Reputed Member

Hi,

As Kayako only parses the top-level of your inbox, you can create a backup by applying a rule to the email account (if Exchange/Outlook).

I have created a subfolder "Original requests" and a rule that is executed at server level on each incoming message, that creates a copy of the incoming message in the Original requests folder.

Maybe this could help.

10. webawere

webawere Member

Thanks Joost, Good idea. We use icewarp mailserver and we can create rules on inboxes also. But it is a work-around...

I was just as surprised as the topic-starter :)