1. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

2. The forum you are viewing relates to Kayako Classic. If you signed up or upgraded to the new Kayako (after the 4th July 2016), the information in this thread may not apply to you. You can visit the forums for the new Kayako here.

Improved department list

Discussion in 'Style and design' started by CaptDarkStar, Jan 26, 2016.

1. CaptDarkStar

CaptDarkStar New Member

Hello Everyone,

I was curious if anyone here has dabbled in changing the department list on the submit ticket page. I think the current look with the radio buttons is so out of place with the general design of the help desk. Anyone have any designs they want to share?

I like the look of the new department list Kayako has done with their new horrible help desk look they have. This can be seen here: https://support.kayako.com/case/create
    Can anyone out there help me get something like this possibly for my departments? Not worried about the sub-departments at all as I don't use them.

2. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

Hey there!

It is possible to restyle the look of the radio buttons, but they do still need to be selected, as that is how v4 is designed to look out for departments ( unless you wanted to create your own department selection screen, and just hard code the list of departments and manually point them at the each unique URL )

Can I ask why you think our new design is horrible? what do you not like about it?

Gary

3. CaptDarkStar

CaptDarkStar New Member

Actually you technically don't have to select the radio buttons. You could in theory just link them directly to the render form like you would if you used a direct link to the department itself. That is of course you decide to not use the form part. Still would be interesting to see what designs others might have, or are willing to share. By chance Gary, could you do a mockup for the design the new support interface is using?

As for your question as to why it is horrible, everything seems to blend together. Darryl pretty much hit the nail on the head design wise in he reply to the news post about the new changes. Can be seen here: https://support.kayako.com/article/1085-welcome-to-the-new-help-center

I also thing that having just the search bar and so much empty space really takes away from other options. Seems like now the client only has the option to search, or submit a ticket if they find the little link at the top. Where are all the other widgets we like to have on our front page? As for the little live chat box at the bottom, dont get me started on that. Perhaps I am old school and love my popup window for it, but having that little box is annoying. I prefer my live chat icons that I can put where I need it to be. Last support tech told me thats not even going to be an option come the new design :(

4. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

We are going to be adjusting the jumbotron ( as it's now been called! ) to waste less space and make it easier to use. This is why we pushed it on support first to get valuable feedback :)

RE getting a mock up, the actual code being used on our new help center is fairly simple:

Code:

<div class="container u-flex__item">     <div class="wrap wrap--body wrap--case-select layout layout--center">
        <h1 class="u-textcenter u-mtopxxbig u-mbottomxbig">What kind of help do you need?</h1>
        <div class="u-inlineblock u-textleft u-fullwidth md-lg-8/12 lg-plus-6/12">
            <ol class="rulebox rulebox--linkpad">
                                                    <li class="u-relative"><a href="https://support.kayako.com/case/create/2">Sales</a><i class="icon icon-arrow-right"></i></li>
                                        <li class="u-relative"><a href="https://support.kayako.com/case/create/3">Support</a><i class="icon icon-arrow-right"></i></li>
                                        <li class="u-relative"><a href="https://support.kayako.com/case/create/4">Billing</a><i class="icon icon-arrow-right"></i></li>
                                        </ol>
        </div>
    </div> </div>

But there is a lot of CSS elements which would be needed to make it look pretty. and quite a few of those will conflict with the existing CSS used on the site, so it would be a bit of an undertaking to make it similar.

Gary

5. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

I think the new inline chat box is okay as long as Admin still has control over size and content, but inline only is going to be a problem if your help desk provides desktop software support.
    On one hand the inline method ensures return-to-chat is only one browser page link away and it glues the visitor to your help desk page.
    On the other hand if you are providing software support and want the chat box to pop-up over an application while helping a customer, you are out of luck.

6. CaptDarkStar

CaptDarkStar New Member

Is there a way to have something like that without any large undertaking? Really just want something like looks better if there is anything handy?