1. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

Kayako Desktop on Linux/Mac OS X using Wine/CrossOver

Discussion in 'Kayako Desktop' started by Satinderjit Singh, Jun 3, 2011.

?

On Which platform you wish to use Kayako Desktop

1. Windows

13.2%
  2. Linux

37.4%
  3. Mac OS X

68.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hi Marc,

Make sure you have Internet Explorer 7 or higher installed on system with crossover. Internet Explorer is required to run Kayako Desktop.

2. Marc P Summers

Marc P Summers New Member

And what version of windows do you suggest

3. ianwuk

ianwuk Member

I never had much luck with Kayako and CrossOver so I use VMWare Fusion 4 running Windows 7 and Kakyo seems to be fine for that.

4. CoreyR

CoreyR New Member

I have to ask, others have, has anyone actually gotten Kayako Desktop to work in Crossover? I have IE7 installed in the same bottle and the problem is the same, it launches the app and then quits. VMWare is frankly just too resource intensive to have our users running all day just for one app. We'd love to use Kayako but we are Mac users, so it may not be an option. Just want to see if anyone has had any luck.

5. Ian Knighton

Ian Knighton New Member

I was finally able to get it to work on a Mac (Mountain Lion) with crossover. If I can find a way to save the bottle without my organizations information attached to it I'll post it somewhere.

Anyone know if this will work after the trial for crossover is up? Not sure I want to shell out $50 for crossover when we're already paying for Kayako, which is supposedly working on a native Mac client for the last two years. The only reason I have to keep a Windows VM is for this software.

6. factor

factor Member

Hi,

Does everything work with crossover on mac os x? chat, phone and onsite? better or worse than with a vm (we use parallels desktop)

Regards,

7. kronns

kronns New Member

hi, the blog links are down please update the links
    thanks

8. I'm amazed to see the new highlights of Kayako helpdesk 4.50.xx.
    I've been away from tech stuff for about an year, so Kayako Desktop for Linux experimenting and testing slipped from my hand.
    Considering changes to Kayako Desktop's browser dependencies I'll rework on Kayako Desktop for Linux. And this time expecting FULLY WORKING chat client for Linux.

#fingerscrossed

@Kronns: Will make the links available in a day or two. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused due to inaccessibility of my website or non availability of KD for Linux.

Regards,
    Satinder.

9. vjimenez

vjimenez New Member

10. Morgan Cox

Morgan Cox New Member

It works easily and correctly nowadays...

This is on Ubuntu 12.10:-

works fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Make sure you have wine 1.5 installed , if you haven't do

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install wine1.5

make sure the folder ~/kayako doesn't exist if it does wipe /move it.

- turn off kayako - make sure there are no wine processes running.

Do the following
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/kayako/ winecfg

- click on the sound tab, change no option, click o.k
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/morgan/kayako/ winetricks ie8 gdiplus

- do not select install updates for i.e 8...
    - at the end of ie8 install click restart now (wait until you have command prompt again)

- follow the instructions for gdiplus - go to

http://download.cnet.com/NET-Framew...223.html?spi=4fcf0e6171ff7365d636df30bc3f897c

- download NDP1.0sp2-KB830348-X86-Enu.exe and put it in

~/.cache/winetricks/gdiplus/

now rerun
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/morgan/kayako/ winetricks gdiplus

now Download latest kayako desktop from

http://hotfix.kayako.com/product.php?product=8 (latest now is 4.2.0.671)

install with
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/kayako/ wine /path/to/KayakoDesktop_4.2.0.671-STABLE.exe

Important : run with
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/kayako/ wine ~/kayako/drive_c/Program\ Files/Kayako/Desktop/KayakoDesktop.exe
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. Hi there!

I feel amazing that my "Kayako Desktop for Linux" packages worked for some of you lately. I made those packages just for fun, liked scripting on Linux and doing experiments to find a workaround to make a thing happen which was hard to do. Thanks to everyone who appropriated my work!

I would really love to have a comment of yours on my new blog post "Kayako Desktop for Mac OS X and Linux (Fully functional)".

Cheers,
    Satinder.

12. Sparrow-Sean

Sparrow-Sean Established Member

Cannot wait for a MAC version, it is way overdue since the release of Kayako 4 - Hard to work off a MAC when you cannot get Kayako Desktop to even work! I think this is the part where Kayako has let me down using their platform.

13. Prabir Dutta

Prabir Dutta New Member

need it on mac

14. XSV

XSV New Member

Agreed, way over due and a major let down they don't address it.

15. Carey Baird

Carey Baird New Member

Majorly dissapointed by Kayako not releasing a Mac version yet

16. Marc P Summers

Marc P Summers New Member

Totally agree.... This is a Major Fail on their part.

17. I have been busy with work, so could not complete the client portal for Kayako Desktop 4 Linux. However, I got a comment on my blog to if anybody can evaluate the scripts I made to run Kayako Desktop on Linux. I compiled the scripts and made a package, which is available to download.

You can download Kayako Desktop for Linux from the following link:
    http://d01.megashares.com/index.php?d01=WKR56Go
    Follow these steps after downloading the archive:
    * Extract archive
    * Install package using 'installkd.sh'
    * Installation script will give you a 'System ID'. Send that System ID to me with the following details:
    - System ID
    - Email Address
    - Full Name
    Note: You can also see Readme.txt file for installation instructions with some troubleshooting tips.
    I'll generate an evaluation license key and send it to you. Put that license key file under your home directory and you'll be good to go.
    Hope you'll like it.
    I'll love to get a feedback on 'Kayako Desktop for Linux'.
    Regards,
    Satinder.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy New Member

Got it to work in Crossover. Followed that tutorial (in Spanish, use Google Chrome for automatic translation): http://doblenegacion.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/instalacion-kayako-desktop-en-osx/

The trick when installing Windows Installer 4.5 was found here:
    Install Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable from the Microsoft Download Site. Don't restart and cancel the installation with the "sensitive use with caution" cancel button. Start the Task Manager in the Control Panel and end the "update.exe" process.