1. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

Kayako Desktop on Linux/Mac OS X using Wine/CrossOver

Discussion in 'Kayako Desktop' started by Satinderjit Singh, Jun 3, 2011.

?

On Which platform you wish to use Kayako Desktop

1. Windows

13.2%
  2. Linux

37.4%
  3. Mac OS X

68.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mac Update: Kayako Desktop installed on Mountain Lion using custom compiled Wine. Working perfect so far.
    No need to instal CrossOver or anything else like that.
    Working on to make it a standalone app just like it is on Linux.

Cheers,
    Satinder.

2. Here are some Screenshots of Kayako Desktop running on Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountian Lion).​
    Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 4.29.12 PM.png
    Kayako Desktop running on Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)​
    Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 4.32.13 PM.png
    New Chat Notification.​
    Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 4.36.48 PM.png
    OnSite working perfectly on Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion​
    Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 4.30.03 PM.jpg
    Kayako Desktop showing as Application in Launchpad.​

3. vanessacolina

vanessacolina New Member

4. XSV

XSV New Member

This looks promising, any updates on the time frame for release?

5. I'm spending most of my free time on this everyday. Can't give you a timeframe at the moment. It's giving me glitches to start the app with other users, but somehow it's working for me perfectly. Just figuring out root issues to sort it out. Once it's done, I'll make it available on my blog and kayako forge to download for free. Just keep an eye on my blog, this forum thread and Kaykaof forge project link for updates.

No Need to buy any License for CrossOver to make your Kayako Desktop work on Mac OS X using that app.

Kayako Forge link for Kayako Desktop for Mac: http://forge.kayako.com/projects/kayakodesktopformac

Cheers,
    Sat.

6. Good news guys,

Just finished testing/troubleshooting and made Kayako Desktop App work for any Mac OS X user.

I'm going to make 'Kayako Desktop for Mac' archive and install instructions available on my blog (http://www.satindergrewal.com/) and Kayako Forge in next couple of hours.

Cheers,
    Sat.

7. Morgan Cox

Morgan Cox New Member

The package doesn't appear to work with OpenSUSE 13.1 (and I can't seem to install manually..)

winelog shows

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /home/morgan/bin/kd: line 48: ifconfig: command not found
    hostname: Name or service not known
    Your System ID: 1c67328de6246166a5a4b96ca7629037f03252658e290fc35d10a7e6e29ef7ca388746cbdda72e6627991d7936481a89882e136d75055a0fb24696cccca99d8d
    Error: key file not found. Please refer to http://satindergrewal.com to get one.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this because of the use of Systemd / lack of ifconfig?

Any ideas how to troubleshoot? OpenSUSE (KDE) seems like a really nice desktop.

Regards

8. pppaul

pppaul New Member

Hello,

Relly need to run in on Ubuntu.
    Followed the tutorial for linux. I am on Ubuntu desktop 14.04
    After all, trying to run kayako desktop I am getting the following error:

root@pauls:~# WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/kayako/ wine ~/kayako/wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Kayako/Desktop/KayakoDesktop.exe
    err:module:import_dll Library mfc110u.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\root\\kayako\\wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Kayako\\Desktop\\KayakoDesktop.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\root\\kayako\\wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\Kayako\\Desktop\\KayakoDesktop.exe" failed, status c0000135
    root@pauls:~#

9. Dear KD Linux user,

That package for "Kayako Desktop for Linux" is very outdated now and not usable. I have stopped putting more efforts on that package now.

Expect from Kayako to release Web version of Kayako Chat client sooner, which might resolve all issues such as KD's platform dependencies.

Cheers,
    Satinder

10. Mike Hodson

Mike Hodson New Member

Try Winetricks, to manually install the x86 MSVC2012 redist: https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/wiki/Installing

My order of operations to test this today were:
    Install Wine from Gentoo's portage repository - however, a manual compile should also work.
    Install Kayako Desktop from the .exe available at: http://hotfix.kayako.com/latest.php?product=kd&platform=win32&buildtype=stable ; installer completes successfully.
    Attempt to run Kayako, receive same error.
    Search Google for error; find your post.
    See that it is msvc2012, and attempt to simply run the redistributable from Microsoft, but its installer is plagued by Wine bug #17273.
    Try Winetricks to install msvc2012, and this works.
    Re-attempt to run Kayako, and am presented with a proper looking dialog: http://snag.gy/maQ5q.jpg

After installing Winetricks, simply executing the command
    Code:
    winetricks vcrun2012
    will install the redist in about 5 seconds, after which, Kayako Desktop opens. Beyond this, I can't be certain that it successfully connects to the Helpdesk installation, as I recently have left the position where I used it daily, but the application definitely opens and allows you to configure.

A manual compile of Wine with defaults should work as well, unless some very specific functionality is required. I'd be happy to test/debug functionality for Kayako (the company) if they could provide a test server and account to login to.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  11. Mike Hodson

Mike Hodson New Member

Well, I've now been hired by yet another organization that uses Kayako. I will test the Desktop client functionality on Wine 1.7.39 soon.

12. Mike Hodson

Mike Hodson New Member

Hello again,

I've found the steps needed to make Kayako work successfully with ANY system, using recent versions of WINE.

1: You MUST be using a 32bit WINEPREFIX with Windows Version set to Windows XP

There are tools that can create and manage multiple WINE prefixes for you. If you run a 64bit WINEPREFIX by default, then you must create a new one just for Kayako. I am not yet certain if I can munge it to work within a 64bit prefix yet.

2: You MUST have the following vcredists and IE from winetricks:

Code:
    winetricks --force vcrun2008 vcrun2010 vcrun2013 ie8
    3: Simply download and run the latest Kayako installer, and it should "just work."

I'll try more later to get it working in the default 64bit prefix I use, but for now, this definitely works.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    Satinderjit Singh likes this.
  13. bijojerome

bijojerome New Member

Hello,

Any development process running for Linux native app?

I am using KD over Wine, but not ok at times.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Bijo.

14. Eric Addis

Eric Addis New Member

@Satinderjit Singh any chance of getting a new SATCHAT version that will run on EL Captain?

Kayako what are the chances of getting a native mac OS edition of Live Chat?

Any plans for web based version of CHAT?

15. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru