Kayako Mobile for iOS...

Discussion in 'Kayako Mobile' started by Marvin Herbold, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Marvin Herbold

Marvin Herbold Established Member

...requires iOS 4.3 - are you kidding me? This makes my iPhone 3G incompatible with it. :-(

...all this time waiting for it... wasted...

Just what in iOS 4.3 is necessary for the Kayako Mobile App???
  2. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

Thats not really the fault of kayako, apple are the ones who chose to drop support for iphone and iphone 3G sadly.

I would be very careful if your using an iphone 3G, there are serious security issues which were addressed in 4.3 which your totally unpatched against :/

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3264567

Gary
  3. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Chief Limey Staff Member

Hi Marvin,

Apple has discontinued and stopped supporting the iPhone 3G, which is why it isn't supported by even the latest version of iOS 4 (4.3).

It didn't make sense for us to not develop for the latest platform (which is actually latest-but-one, iOS 5). Sorry about that... but a good excuse to upgrade, right? ;)
  4. Marvin Herbold

Jamie - There are still millions of 3G users and Kayako is leaving them out. All iOS apps are forward compatiable with future iOS versions. If the Kayako Mobile app does not specifically use any functions newly added in the 4.3 SDK then why force everybody to have iOS 4.3? You should be using the earliest SDK the code will compile on, to make the app available to the widest possible customer base.

Gary - I am holding out for the iPhone 5 which probably won't come around for a while. I was hoping I could use my iPhone 3G until then.
  5. Jamie Edwards

Marvin,

Can you email me your iPhone 3G's UDID so that I can supply you with a beta?

We are researching iOS4 support and we have had trouble finding any test devices (and even emulator issues; Apple removed the < 4.3 emulators from XCode).

Thanks,
  6. Marvin Herbold

Sure - I'll email it to you when I get home tonight. I don't have my phone with me right now.
  7. NC Software

NC Software Member

Jamie,

You guys should use TestFlight for beta's - it's a great system! It's free, and it allows you to push over the air updates to your beta testers:

http://testflightapp.com
  8. Marcel Trapman

Marcel Trapman iOS Developer Staff Member

We already push over the air :)
  9. Jamie Edwards

Thanks for the tip. I did check that out, but we found it a bit too late. However, the problem we have right now is not distribution or analysis, but Apple's 100 device per-year limit :(
  10. NC Software

NC Software Member

You just have to be creative. TestFlight is a huge plus, I can't recommend it enough. You create your teams such as your beta team. If you have an issue with the 100 (per app I think it is, not per year) you could create multiple apps just changing the app identifier for each app. Call it Kayako Mobile BETA 1, BETA 2, etc. and make them different apps, and in testflight you can reassign your teams with ease, tell them to remove the old, etc. There's always a way, as long as your not abusing the system.
  11. Jamie Edwards

Unfortunately that wouldn't work - the device limit is per year. A way around it would be to create multiple developer accounts, but that would be 'abuse' and we'd risk a ban.
  12. SteveLV702

SteveLV702 Kayako Guru

its 100 per developer account not per app.... So they would have to have separate developer accounts and therefore numerous $99 fee's.... Though they could get a normal account which has 100 devices and allows them to sell their app and then could get a Enterprise Account which then gives them like 500 I believe devices but cannot sell in store...... only thing is enterprise I believe is like around $250/yr (not sure)
  13. Jamie Edwards

For the enterprise account we would have to pretend that we are distributing the app internally to employees... I'm all for blagging, but App Store publishing privileges are quite important to us!
  14. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

Jamie,

Any chance of updating my UDID for the new beta, its using my old Iphone3GS UDID which I no longer have access too, but would certainly test it on my new Iphone 4S

gary
  15. Jamie Edwards

Send me an email :)