Kayako Mobile vs Kayako Desktop…

Discussion in 'Kayako Mobile' started by dalpay_thorsten, Aug 9, 2012.

?

Is Kayako Mobile a suitable replacement for Kayako Desktop?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2012.
  1. I use it day to day on iOS and it provides all the features I need

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I use it day to day on iOS and it DOES NOT provide the features I need

25.0%
  3. I use it day to day on Android and it provides all the features I need

25.0%
  4. I use it day to day on Android and it DOES NOT provide the features I need

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I would use it day to day on iOS if it had a feature that is missing

25.0%
  6. I would use it day to day on Android if it had a feature that is missing

25.0%
  1. Greetings from the spiritual home of Android, Dalvík in Iceland.

It's over a year now since I posted in that thread about a version of Kayako Desktop for Mac OS X.

According to Jamie Edwards' latest reply we should probably give up on seeing Kayako Desktop for Mac OS.

Kayako, Inc's corporate policy of not giving specific delivery times (not even a quarterly delivery estimate) is understandable, but frankly, after so long, and no beta of Kayako Desktop for Mac OS X appearing, Kayako is showing contempt for its existing customers who need it on Mac OS X.

"Ten years young
    For a decade, more than 30,000 organizations of all shapes and sizes have relied on Kayako to provide an unbeatable customer support experience."

However, before further second guessing and criticizing their policy of releasing the iOS/Android versions before the Mac OS X version, I think it fair to ask for input from actual end users of Kayako Mobile who have had it in their hands for some months.

So, as well as the poll above, please if you are using Kayako Mobile for your day to day work on iOS confirm if it is a suitable replacement for Kayako Desktop.

What features does it lack in comparison with Kayako Desktop, and how fast is it compared with the desktop version.

Inquiring minds would like to know!

I was considering a subject line for this post of 'Does Kayako Mobile suck?'. However, I hope I have your attention, gentle reader, already, without stooping to such levels.
  2. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Chief Limey Staff Member

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

I must have really messed up the wording of my last reply! Kayako Desktop for Mac is currently under development - of course you're going to see it :)

That's definitely not the case. Although we'd have loved to have released Kayako Desktop for Mac a long while ago like many other things on the roadmap, we have a number of competing priorities and a number of 'most important feature requests' (which differ, of course, to who you're speaking to!).

Kayako Desktop and Kayako Mobile are right now for fundamentally different things; Kayako Desktop chiefly enables your staff to manage live chat and real time customer support (calls, remote support, etc), as well as access the helpdesk via an integrated browser. Kayako Mobile currently gives your staff mobile access to ticket management. One was never intended to substitute the other really. However, you will eventually see them converge, bringing Kayako as a whole to whichever platform; whether Windows, Mac or mobile.

To summarise:
    • Kayako Desktop for Mac is currently being worked on.
    • Kayako Mobile will eventually evolve beyond on-the-go ticket management and receive lots of ongoing improvements.
    (For what it is worth, the demand for Kayako Mobile (on-the-go ticket management) was and is way, way higher up the list of most of our customers' priorities and requests, compared to Kayako Desktop for Mac.)
  3. akuehnemund

akuehnemund Member

Hi Thorsten & Jamie:

Thorsten had asked me for feedback on Kayako Mobile and then I came across this thread... so here it is:

- I agree with Jamie that based on what I know about Kayako Desktop (I have never used it), Mobile and Desktop are two different animals.
    - Kayako Mobile in its current state is a good start, but it needs to have more of the funtionality of the browser based version before I could use it on a daily basis (custom fields, save as draft).
    - Instead of the iOS version of Kayako Mobile, I prefer to use SupportDesk. It offers offline support - which is important to me on something like a tablet.
    - Chat and remote control functionality would be nice, but we currently use Teamviewer for that and so there's no pressing need for it. Especially if it would cost us money.

I'm glad to hear Kayako Desktop for Mac is coming. I can wait until it's ready.

Cheers,

Andre
  4. firmdot

firmdot Member

Totally agree.
  5. SupportDesk By IT2BE, correct?
  6. Just to clarify Kayako's service offerings for readers who may have found this post direct from a Google search…

If your primary need is a full feature support ticket system (with incoming email filtering and more) then Kayako Resolve and its smartphone companion app Kayako Mobile will do the job.

If you want live chat (including archiving of messages with multi-user access to those) and click-to-call using your existing VoIP provider, PLUS one-click remote desktop support then you want Kayako Engage.

If you want both then Kayako Fusion is the solution to get.

A fair summary Jamie?

We love Kayako Resolve but also want to replace Skype (text chat and voice) with Kayako Engage but are unable to do so until Kayako Desktop for Mac OS X is released, because it is the control panel for Kayako Engage.
  7. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Chief Limey Staff Member

8. Ever the diplomat* :) No, your, wording was fine. It is the fact that after so long we have not seen a beta of Kayako Desktop for Mac OS X, that leads me to make that assertion. It has been years.

As Chief Business Development Officer, you must be in control of where exactly in the list of priorities, beta release of Kayako Desktop for Mac OS sits. Probably more than any other single person at Kayako, Inc.

It is my belief that many of those who posted in that thread you closed have simply given up on Kayako.

Well, I am not prepared to do so, because Kayako's solutions are good.

*Many companies can take lessons from Jamie about how to respond to, and handle customer questions and complaints in this age of transparency triumph. One reason I continue to give Kayako the time of day, despite the contempt being shown for existing Mac OS users, is because Kayako are a good example of a flawsome company, thanks to Jamie's involvement. (Yeah, we read Trendwatching here at DalPay.)
    As I do not have access to (and nor should I) your own customer/market research I take it as a given that you are paying attention to what your customers are asking for.

However, I do wonder still, as I did out loud in my thread of a year ago, if you guys appreciate how many new customer Mac-only shops would buy Kayako for the first time, or upgrade their existing licenses to Kayako Fusion if you have the full suite on the Mac.

Kayako Mobile has sizzle to it, no doubt. But Kayako Desktop, primarily its live chat features, are the steak.

(I am sure that many of the currently disaffected Mac OS sites would accept a beta of Kayako Desktop for Mac OS with only the ticket system and live chat features of Kayako Engage implemented. I know we would.)

Drew told us that development of Kayako Desktop and OnSite is underway. Despite developing good software being hard, now after nearly 6 months, we should be seeing a beta of Kayako Desktop. Yes, you made no recent promises, but given how long it has been, we Mac OS users need to see something.
  9. akuehnemund

akuehnemund Member

10. akuehnemund

akuehnemund Member

Marcel informed me custom filed support will be included in the next release of SupportDesk.
  11. Mark C

Mark C New Member

I'm new to Kayako so I guess there's probably a better place to put a feature request... but wouldn't it be nice if you could actually call your customers (registered users) directly from tickets or their profile? As far as I can tell, you have to copy and past their phone number in the dial box, unless you take the time of manually entering in all their names and numbers as Contacts for the softphone.
  12. Drew Keller

Drew Keller Just one person in a world of millions.

Mark,

I think this is a great idea, (I dont use KD so dont know if it is possible now) but you are right you really should raise this as a Feature request rather than on this thread which is not really directly relevant.

You will find a Suggestions and feature requests forum on the main forum listing which is where requests are raised.
  13. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

All the mobile apps are worthless to us since tickets only list customer name without organization.
    You cannot drill down to locate the organization either.
    Any help desk serving businesses will find this quite useless.
    Sure you can answer the ticket, but which organization did you just help?

I'd argue there is little point in posting your suggestions and features requests.
    Posts cannot be voted on and tallied so regardless of how popular something is (+1's), the probability is high a suggestion will sit there for years with little or no effect.
    Kayako's "roadmap policy" practically guarantees that. ;)
  14. ronoliverclarin

ronoliverclarin New Member

Why you forget Windows phone 7/7.5/8 on the poll choices?
  15. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

Kayako Mobile on a Windows phone is a superior experience IMO, especially compared to Android.
    I am so glad I got rid of my Droid-X. Everything looks and works so much better on a Windows phone.
    BTW: My complaint about lack of Organization name doesn't apply anymore. Not sure if this was addressed on the Android app, but Organization is the default name on tickets in the Windows phone app.
  16. Drew Keller

Drew Keller Just one person in a world of millions.

For me the Mobile Application Space is something that has been very badly managed , you have 4 independent developers doing their own thing and from a customers perspective there has been no-one overseeing the products to make sure they give a consistent experience.

I understand that not everything is possible on every Mobile Platform, but core functionality is something that is being presented by Kayako not by the mobile application, simple things like displaying disabled staff in the Mobile Application, Refresh.

Then like Master mentions Origination name on the Windows Phone but not on the Driod app.

If the application did the functionality of the web for managing tickets I would be using it daily, but at the moment I prefer to got to the site in my devices Browser and from there do what I need to even though the screen is not designed for my phone. At least I get consistency in what I am doing.

I have questioned before why applications in this space are so important, this is an example where a well built responsive web layout would mean functionality is available and would work across platforms with alot less effort than building and updating an applicaiton for each platform, especially when really do you need the data cached locally on your Phone, (For us anyway) you need the most current version of the ticket.
  17. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

Yes, it seems like a jQuery/HTML5 version of Staff CP with Kayako Desktop features combined would best serve all users running any mobile device.
    Example: http://jquerymobile.com/gbs/