Multi-Site Critical Server Monitoring and Alerting Tool

Discussion in 'Technical chat' started by Geeshan, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Geeshan

Geeshan New Member

Network Monitoring Tool.

Basically, I would like some sort of agent package which could be installed on critical servers/appliances at multiple sites, and assocciated with an organization, which can then be used to monitor them. Once a threashold is set for variables such as temperature, exchange transport service status, CPU utilization etc..if one of the conditions are met, it would automatically generate a ticket for that organization, with the appropiate ticket title. ex. Cirtical: Exchange Server has stopped.

It shouldnt be an an overly complicated monitoring solution, just something to ensure critical system tasks/processes are running and are functioning in the specified baseline.

This would defanitely be one of the most usefull tools that could be implemented.

2. Drew Keller

Drew Keller Just one person in a world of millions.

I think you should be looking towards to RMM tool like Kaseya or Naverisk, although you say simple these are a very complex set of tasks and best left up to a tool set designed for the task. But that's my opinion

3. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

Hi there,

Just wanted to post here that you could achieve that with existing windows tools and 3rd party tools

If you download "blat" ( its an smtp command line tool )

Then create a batch file something like this: ( example I am using is monitoring the exchange transport service )

Code:

@echo off
    cls
    SC QUERY "MSExchangeIS" | FIND "STOPPED" > nul
    IF errorlevel 1 goto NotRunning
    Echo Service is Running >c:\Status.log
    goto:End
    :NotRunning
    echo ......................................................... >c:\Status.log
    echo ..                COMPANY NAME or SERVER                  .. >>c:\Status.log
    echo .. Microsoft Exchange Information Store Is Not Running .. >>c:\Status.log
    echo ..                  %TIME%                      .. >>c:\Status.log
    echo ......................................................... >>c:\Status.log
    echo . >>c:\Status.log
    net start "Microsoft Exchange Transport" >>c:\Status.log
    blat c:\Status.log -to helpdesk@mydomain.com
    goto:End
    :End

Then schedule that batch file to run every xx minutes and it will email your helpdesk if the service goes down

Gary

4. Geeshan

Geeshan New Member

Sorry, when I stated overly complicated, I was referring to functionality. The actualy development and integration into Kayako will be quite complex, but I am certain Kayako has the team and skill set to accomplish this.

To start, let's say they start by monitoring if a particular server is off.

We start by creating an Agent which is installed on the server we want to monitor, the agent communicates with the Kayako helpdesk.
    During the install of the Agent, we specify our support desk URL/Monitoring credentials, and are then presented with a list of organizations (Companies) within our helpdesk, we select the organization the server belongs to, and specify a name for the server. The agent should also collect and store the Computer Name, IP Address, specs, make/model etc..

From there, they could continue to develop additional monitoring 'plug-ins' for exchange, service state etc..

It's not going to be easy, but I am certain it is a feature alot of users would love to see.

5. Geeshan

Geeshan New Member

Gary that is fantastic!
    I am going to try implementing that in the next few days.

6. Drew Keller

Drew Keller Just one person in a world of millions.

I would hope Kayako concentrates on its core product and sees these types of areas as areas better left to experts in the fields, if you are looking for a "cheap" solution have a look at spiceworks it is an open source RMM style tool, also Naverisk is a small RMM tool developed in New Zealand and the gave just opened offices in England well priced and work well with their partners to deliver functionality.

7. Elliot Tabush

Elliot Tabush New Member

A good tool for monitoring exchange and other email servers is mxalerts.com.It uses round-trip email monitoring which is very easy to setup and pretty useful.
    I'm still on the free plan right now but will be upgrading soon.

8. Paul Stewart

Paul Stewart New Member

I know this thread is old but looking to find out if anyone has done further work in this area. We monitor our entire network (including Exchange servers) with Solarwinds and it provides us with great insight into services, applications, nodes, interfaces, volumes etc etc

As we are just looking at using Kayako for ticketing application, we are very interested in hearing more from folks on integration or making other systems talk to Kayako.

Thanks,

Paul

9. Polished

Polished New Member

Hi

I didn't know Kaseya but seems a good tool. We are using Pandora FMS now, to monitor all our server and it's great. By doing remote monitoring with one of remote checks, this can be done quickly and easily with its flexible and powerful software agents. Exists software agents for all operating systems (Unix, Windows, Android) and we are able to gather information by executing shell commands, complex scripts or through interaction with the operating system's APIs. You can create any alert ( send emails, send sms, create events to integrate to kayako, do corrective actions, etc.. ) If you are interested in this tool, you can visit www pandorafms com

Best Regards