Not planned News and Knowledgebase subscriptions

Discussion in 'New ideas, bigger features' started by Igor Kryltsov, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Igor Kryltsov

Igor Kryltsov Established Member

Reposting this post.

What are the benefits of a proposition:

a) registered only portal users (who can not see anything except login before loging in) will be able to subscrive from profile page. Now they have to be subsribed manualyy from staff CP.

2011-09-24_003418.png

b) all registered users will be able to subscribe from Profile page. This is easier than figuring out that subsription by email requires logout and typing email once again.

c) all users will define how often they want to get updates and select between News and KB articles

d) subsription to new Knowledgebase articles will be added

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I may suggest I would add for a registered user a menu item Subscriptions or will include it into user's Profile page. It will have:

Subscriptions
    News <checkbox> Knowkedge base <checkbox>
    daily digest <radio button> weekly digest <radio button> monthly digest

Email subject will be 'Daily/Weekly digest from XXXXC support center'
    Body will have two sections:
    News
    <a>Subject1</a>
    <a>Subject2</a>
    How-To's
    <a>Article1</a>
    <a>Article2</a>

If you want to be nice you can put here a link "change subscription preferences or insubscribe" pointing to that new profile page I described above.

At the moment subsription by email is only possible when user is not registered or registered but not logged in. So if you are a registered user you have to figure out that to subsribe by email (what if one does not use RSS?) you have to logout of a portal and subscribe. Not the most intuitive way.

Also when you have one of the portals for pre registered users only you most likely will remove all (including subsribe to news) items for portal visitors. So in this case if you want to subscribe users you pre created you will also need to subsribe them all manually via Staff CP.

Plus this all works only for news.

I am sure many would like to know about new KB articles published.
    Letting guests to subsribe by email from front page is fine. The only thing I would also like to give them an option to select its periodicity (daily, weekly or monthly) and if they want News and KB or only one of them. Additionally if a registered user is not subscribed to anything you can show short line pointing to subscription page inside profile on a bottom of news page (http://support.XXXX.com/index.php?/PORTAL_12/News/List)

Something like:
    You can subsribe to News and How-To's here

What do you think?

2. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

Definitely worth adding.
    You'd also want ability to check off the categories of news articles you are interested in.

3. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

4. alvaro.madrid

alvaro.madrid Established Member

5. Igor Kryltsov

Igor Kryltsov Established Member

It also pretty obvious decision not to show News and Knowledge Base items in a portal menu (big buttons and menu) if there are no news or knowledge base articles published.

6. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

7. bs01

bs01 Established Member

+ 1

8. Brandon Skrtich

Brandon Skrtich New Member

9. triller

triller Established Member

10. Chris Plapp

Chris Plapp Established Member

It would be really nice if you would allow us to subscribe specific user groups or user organizations to specific types of News. We currently hide the News feature and only use it for internal staff communication because we need to be able to send specific news to specific customers and cannot do so at this time.