Parser failure alerts should be sent to Administartor

Discussion in 'Smaller features and tweaks' started by David Heremans, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Once the system has been set up, there is no use for us to log into the admin cp on a daily basis. Unfortunately, that does mean that occasionally, we miss out on tickets because of a parser error that we didn't notice on time.

Such important error should be available in the staff cp - after all, this is where most people work in on a daily basis! It would be wise though that these errors are only shown to the staff member that is in fact an administrator.
  2. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

+1 Cool idea.
  3. Neketa Parmar

Neketa Parmar Kayako Staff

There should be an option in help desk to send an alert to help desk's administrator, whenever the parser script is unable to parse an email as ticket in help desk.
  4. I agree, admins dont keep looking at /admin necessarily all the time.

This is critical info we need to be aware when it happens, if a message cant be fed.

Thanks.
  5. frufli

frufli New Member

When the mail parser get an error on a specific email, it should be great that the admin or selected deps will get an alarm per email (and not only an error in the mail parser log)
  6. Craig Vanaman

Craig Vanaman Member

We are looking to get this working too. Is there currently no way to notify users/admins by email when the parser log hits an error?
  7. I agree. This is a more then necessary feature. Kayako only informs in /admin interface, which we rarely accessed by us. The other day the scheduler stopped working correctly, etc... Perhaps add to /staff and also email admin in case of problems in the fetcher.

Thanks.
  8. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

9. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

We actually created our own version of this which generates emails to admin if a parser log error or mail queue error is detected. ( e.g. if it fails to check the email box, like bad password, or if it rejects a mail, like message too big )

If people are interested, we can see if we can put together the changes for it.

Gary
  10. Craig Vanaman

Craig Vanaman Member

I am definitely interested - it would be great to get automated alerts when things go wrong. It would be particularly great if you could tailor the response to the nature of the alert too, so that unnecessary ones are ignored and high priority ones get particular attention.
  11. Gary McGrath

Yes, that should be possible, as thats the way we use it right now, some subjects use the word critical, and some use the subject informational. We are just putting together the changes needed, I think it will simply be replacing two files within kayako, and then simply editing them with your own email addresses and wordings for alerts and such. ( we will make it as easy as possible to edit )

Gary
  12. Craig Vanaman

Craig Vanaman Member

that's great, thank you very much. Would it be possible for you to update this thread once the changes have been implemented?
  13. Gary McGrath

I have attached the two needed files to this post.

Process to use:

1.) Edit both files, scroll to the very bottom, and then fill in your details for the "to email address" and "from email address" ( its marked in the files where you need to edit )
    2.) Backup the origional helpdesk files before replacing them with these two ( we simply renamed them .phpold )
    3. ) Copy the files to __modules\parser\library\Parser

Thats it, you should now get emailed alerts when things go wrong!

Gary

Attached Files:

14. Craig Vanaman

Craig Vanaman Member

it works!! Thanks very much!!
  15. Gary McGrath

Your welcome :)

Gary
  16. Gary McGrath

Reference this, we have now created a new version which needs no editing, it simply sends out the email alerts to all the admin level users within your kayako. We have uploaded it to the forge for easy tracking. If you get any issues with it, let us know :)

http://forge.kayako.com/projects/mailparseralerts

Gary
  17. Craig Vanaman

Craig Vanaman Member

Thanks Gary. How can I set a user to be admin level? I can only see where to set them as part of the "admin" team which would then unassign them from the "support" team :confused: Thanks!
  18. Gary McGrath

I think a user in kayako can either be in a staff group, or an admin group. ( to make them admin, they need to be a member of an admin level group ) ( e.g. they are able to login into the admin CP )

gary
  19. Dylan Lindgren

Dylan Lindgren Established Member

I can't seem to get this working. I am running version 4.40.1079 of Fusion along with version 1.1 of Mail Parser Error Alerts. I have sent an email to one of the queues that's oversize (30mb) and it is coming up as an error in the administration CP however I never receive an email to my email address (as I'm an administrator in Fusion). Any ideas?

Dylan
  20. Gary McGrath

Hi Dylan,

I assume other kayako emails are being sent ok? ( the mod uses the smtp engine built into kayako, admin cp, settings, email settings, smtp server )
    Is the type for oversized emails set to 1? ( should be on by default )

Gary