1. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

2. The forum you are viewing relates to Kayako Classic. If you signed up or upgraded to the new Kayako (after the 4th July 2016), the information in this thread may not apply to you. You can visit the forums for the new Kayako here.

1. jacksony

jacksony Member

Oh man.

We wasted so much money. We paid for 2 years of renewal which is worthless. Can they refund us half of this?

2. neonardo

neonardo Member

Talk about bait and switch.

edit: TWICE

3. bear

bear Kayako Guru

When no changes or enhancements were coming all the time following the reversal on the EOL of this version, were you not suspicious? When they only did work on making it PHP7 compatible after Sergio posted changes that he was doing himself towards that end, and Kayako stopped just as soon as he did...were you not suspicious? When they made grandiose claims that their "great deal" (that wasn't at all great) on licenses for the download version was being adopted by lots of download customers, did you believe them?
    I didn't. Still don't. This move comes as no surprise to me aside from the rather quiet way it was announced.

On that article:
    Posted a year ago
    Updated 11 days ago
    Makes you wonder what the update changed, since no one mentioned the bad news that I recall.
    It's not the first time they yanked something out from under paying customers, and it won't be the last.

4. sergioag

sergioag Member

5. jacksony

jacksony Member

Hi,

Reply from them:

I touched base with our marketing team and they have updated the article. Basically the change we are implementing impacts only legacy perpetual customers who wont be entitled to new features and upgrades.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Please accept an apology for the missunderstanding.

6. bear

bear Kayako Guru

So not changing policy, I'd assume, just hiding that bit.
    Anyone that believes they're going to be fair and reasonable about that haven't been paying attention all these years. They should go back and look at the request threads, where they rolled *ALL* of them into the new SAAS version and ignored legacy versions totally.

They're obviously monitoring these complaint threads like the one we're in. Not commenting yet, but definitely watching.
    That in itself is intriguing, and feels like reputation management rather than actively "we care about you folks" (because it's clear they don't).

7. gatsu000

gatsu000 New Member

Their investors would be horrified to know that their overall marketshare is dropping not because of shifting markets or competition but because of their managing team's own actions. These choices they've been making alienate a very very large portion of the market especially those that for legal reasons cannot use a SAAS. There are billions in servicing the customers that have those regulatory requirements, and they are quite specifically and purposefully alienating that entire market.

Actually, with GDPR anyone that services Europe wouldn't be able to legally use kayako in their cloud-based solution. I'm sure we'll get some response in this thread from someone that says they are GDPR compliant but that person wouldn't actually understand the requirements of GDPR. I'm sure Kayako as a company would be compliant, but not any of the companies that use Kayako as that would be impossible.

We've already started urging all of our enterprise clients to use other options than Kayako. One just went with Zendesk on a $100,000+/yr option simply based off my choices and that is just one client. Zendesk doesn't even have a self-hosted option but I can't professionally choose Kayako due to their practices here the past few years.

8. bear

bear Kayako Guru

Not sure about market share, since I have no access to any of that sort of data, but I do have an opinion about recent moves.
    Before the more recent licensing changes, Kayako's owned version was seeing little in the way of updates, many license holders saw no value in paying for update access, so income slowed. New license sales were probably slowing as well. It was then they'd decided the best way forward would be to take away the option of not paying, from then forward. No grandfathered license levels or rate of renewal, you pay the new price, with a discount only if you hurry to adopt. It was the hurry up and decide that really caught my eye.

Create a "new" version, rolling all the things users have been asking for for years and never got, to make it something more likely to be wanted. While "creating" this, remove many of the things that were good about "classic", promising to bring them back later on, meaning it was rushed out the door. Rushing something like this out the door and forcing users to it in a big hurry (and much greater cost) leads me to think they already had the notion of selling off the business, and wanted to inflate the value quickly. What better way than dangling forced recurring income for a product that would slowly trickle removed features back in to keep users interested and not requiring loads of programming effort to do (since it already existed)?

That's my take on it.

9. Xolphin

Xolphin Member

PHP 5.6 will only have security updates until the end of this year, see http://php.net/supported-versions.php . Will a new Kayako Classic version that works with PHP 7.2 be released, or should anyone that is in need of a self hosted solution look for something different?

If so, are there any options, self hosted and preferably with PHP support?

10. sergioag

sergioag Member

I posted some instructions to patch the files for PHP 7 support in this post, just in the first few messages. That has worked for me, but I certainly I don't use all the capabilities of the product.

11. Xolphin

Xolphin Member

Sergiag, thanks for your reply, and I did read your messages, but you were using PHP 7.0 at the time, and support for PHP 7.0 will end even sooner (within 3 months). Have you tried with the now current PHP 7.2 as well?

12. sergioag

sergioag Member

Yes, I am. Always updating to keep pace.

13. bear

bear Kayako Guru

14. ogbranny

ogbranny Member

Wow, still nothing happened. FYI we've been running a fusion instance on our PHP 7 server for about a year now without any problems, only small patches were needed.

15. xortje

xortje New Member

Which version of kayako classic now works with php7?

16. bear

bear Kayako Guru

Without making the changes figured out by Sergio, none.