Problem Setting up IMAP or POP3, no smtp issues Exchange 2007

Discussion in 'Installation, setup, upgrading and importing' started by chelseadstevenson, Jul 14, 2011.

1. chelseadstevenson

chelseadstevenson New Member

I am having trouble setting up an email queue for our helpdesk. The smtp sending email part works generally without issue. I however cannot get a email queue to verify connection.

I can't telnet on any of the default imap and pop ports.
    I get the following error:
    Mailbox connection failed:
    1.Connection failed to euceron.police.city.saskatoon.sk.ca,110: Connection refused

Looking for some basics to try to get this to work properly.
  2. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

Hi there,

I tried to test that pop3 server for you and I could not show a valid connection. So at this point, I would suggest the issue is actually with your pop3 server address. euceron.police.city.saskatoon.sk.ca does not actually resolve to an IP address, so this is why your helpdesk cant find it. Do you happen to know the IP address of your pop3 server? you could try using the IP address instead.

Gary
  3. chelseadstevenson

it does for the server, the ip address results in the same message
  4. Gary McGrath

Hi there,

Ok, I assume this is just an internal IP address then. From the server running your helpdesk, try a telnet on port 110 to your email server.

If telnet cannot get a connection, then the issue has nothing to do with kayako and is a basic connection issue. ( its possible your exchange server has been configured to only accept connections from certain IP addresses )

Also with exchange, unless you have actually configured it, pop3 will not even be started out of the box. so you will need to enable pop3 on the server.

Gary
  5. chelseadstevenson

I have checked exchange the server has been configured to accept all addresses. POP3 is enabled.
  6. Gary McGrath

Hi there,

Can you try using telnet on your exchange server, and try and connect to port 110 on itself

Gary
  7. chelseadstevenson

That works without the connection refused issue.
  8. Gary McGrath

Ok, so this means the issue is likely to be a firewall or anti virus security product.

I would double check the firewall on your exchange server ( as I am assuming your running it on windows 2008, and if so, pop3 incoming connections are blocked by default in the firewall )

I would also check if your AV product has any kind of port blocking. ( its more likely the block is on your exchange server as usually outgoing connections are not blocked )

Gary
  9. chelseadstevenson

i can seem to connect via port 110 to the server via my computer without refusal. Does centos have something that may be blocking it?
  10. Gary McGrath

I am afraid I am not familar with CentOS, but it is possible its denying access to port 110. You may wish to submit a support ticket about the issue, as the kayako guys will no doubt have some ideas what to check in CentOS

Gary