Pushing links cause chats to close

Discussion in 'Kayako Desktop and Kayako OnSite' started by NC Software, Jun 4, 2012.

1. NC Software

NC Software Member

We had this problem in v3 and it seems to still be an issue in v4. For some users, when we push them a link (send option) it causes their chat to close. I believe it's a problem with popup blockers. If you are using an option that automatically opens a browser window when pushing a link, you may want to review this OR provide a different way of opening links on the client so this doesn't occur. It is a big problem sadly, it needs to be fixed as we really piss of four chatters when we send a link and it kills the chat. We don't need customers getting frustrated.

FYI
  2. Leif

Leif Established Member

This is because the code attempts to open those links in a new browser window/tab, so it's seen as a Popup by the browser. To resolve this issue, I've modified the code on our system so all pushed content remains in the chat window (i.e. links just show as a clickable URL in the chat window... the client then can click on this link to open it). This was necessary to prevent the popup blocking setting from killing chat sessions. If you are self-hosted, you can make this modification.

Remove the following code line from the PushURL and PushImage functions in __swift\themes\client_default\livesupport.js:

Code:
    var _openWindow = window.open(_url, 'pushed' + GenerateChatRandomNumber());

Leif
    NC Software likes this.
  3. NC Software

NC Software Member

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully Drew will see this to fix for everyone else. This has been an issue for years.
  4. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

+1 - this needs to be fixed in next update since it affects anyone using KD.
    The other workaround is to post any links in the regular chat box, but that defeats the purpose of having a Send option.
  5. Drew Lederman

Drew Lederman Established Member

This isn't a KD issue, but I'll pass this along to someone who can fix it. :)
  6. NC Software

NC Software Member

Did this get fixed in 4.50? If not, where do I change it as the file locations and file names have all changed now.
  7. Simaranjit Singh

Simaranjit Singh Kayako Staff

I have marked it as a bug and have provided fix as well. URL is:

http://dev.kayako.com/browse/SWIFT-2722

This issue is only replicable if the person we are chatting with is using Internet explorer - if we allow blocked popups from IE, it refreshes the current page which disconnects the chat.
  8. NC Software

NC Software Member

Thank you, I made the changes in my site.
  9. NC Software

NC Software Member

This problem is back or still exists. Has it ever been officially fixed?
  10. NC Software

NC Software Member

This just happened and they are using FireFox. I put a link in the text area (not via the send button) and when they clicked in they got dropped from chat.
  11. Simaranjit Singh

Simaranjit Singh Kayako Staff

Yes, this issue has officially been fixed in our previous builds. Could you please let me know how frequently you are facing this issue, because I tried by the same provided steps however, did not face any issue.