Quoted Printable =20 is a Space, Not a Newline!

Discussion in 'Developing, APIs and extending' started by Marvin Herbold, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Marvin Herbold

Marvin Herbold Established Member

There is something wrong with Kayako's quoted printable email decoder - it translates the =20 as a newline... this is incorrect - it is a space! 20 Hex = 32 decimal = space in ASCII table. It does appear to decode the other characters correctly (i.e. =3D becomes '=' which is correct). But it is definitely handling =20 wrong.

I came across this while trying to figure out why some of my breakline regexes weren't working as expected and it turns out this was the reason - it was putting in a newline where there is supposed to be a space when decoding the QP.

Hopefully some Kayako dev reads this...

2. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Chief Limey Staff Member

Hi Marvin

I've passed it on, thank you for bringing it to your attention.

3. Marvin Herbold

Debugging it some more - I am in the function _quotedPrintableDecode in __swift/thirdparty/MIME/mimeDecode.php and it correctly replaces the =20 with a space, hmm...

Now I'm thinking the problem is with an encoder somewhere (either Kayako or Outlook), not the decoder. The issue I am looking at is that

<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=foo@gmail.com=20
    href=3D"mailto:foo@gmail.com">foo@gmail.com</A> =
    </DIV>

Becomes

<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=foo@gmail.com
    href="mailto:foo@gmail.com">foo@gmail.com</A> </DIV>

And not

<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=foo@gmail.com href="mailto:foo@gmail.com">foo@gmail.com</A> </DIV>

As I would have expected. The problem is the encoder outputted =20 instead of =20= (the last = meaning soft line break). I'm going to look at Kayako's QP encoder next.

4. Marvin Herbold

Grrr - looks like the fault is with Outlook. I did a few tests (sending emails via Kayako, replying via Outlook)...

Kayako sent:

This is going to be a multiline response...<br />
    This is the=
    second line.<br />
    <br />
    This is the fourth line.<br />=

Looks good. And when replied to via Outlook it turned into:

This is going to be a multiline response...<br />
    This is the=20
    second line.<br />
    <br />
    This is the fourth line.<br />=

*FACEPALM*

:mad:

I'm gonna have to add some code to Kayako to "fix" the Outlook mangling of the QP. Fortunately because newlines are meaningless in HTML (other than being inside a <pre> tag) this should be an easy fix... I hope. :rolleyes:

5. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Chief Limey Staff Member

6. Marvin Herbold

Ok - I added one line of code to __swift/thirdparty/MIME/mimeDecode.php at line 284 (right after the case 'text/html' statement):

Code:
    $body = preg_replace('/\=20\r?\n/', "=20=\n", $body);

Basically this switches =20 at the end of a line to a =20= - this has no consequence for HTML rendering (except if it happens to be inside a <pre> tag but I'm not worried about that...) but it definitely will help breakline processing!

I'm about to do some real testing with this to see if its all good...

7. Marvin Herbold

I added this info to the dev.kayako.com ticket.