Renaming the Database

Discussion in 'Installation, setup, upgrading and importing' started by frankbackes, Jul 20, 2012.

1. frankbackes

frankbackes Established Member

Hi,

When I want to rename the Database, do I simply have to modify the name in /Web/helpdesk/__swift/config/config.php under
    * DATABASE NAME
    */
    define('DB_NAME', 'xxxxx');

or are there other places I need to modify?
    I need to do that as the database was only a test one and so the naming was not clean and now I have to clean it as it goes to production.

Thank you

Wfr Frank
  2. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

Hi frank,

If your just moving/renaming the database, and not changing the table stucture inside, then updating the config.php file will be the only change you need to make

Gary
  3. frankbackes

frankbackes Established Member

Hey Garry,

Thank you a lot I only see your answer now, I had the Support in chat for something else so I asked in same time, and got confirmation that that is the only place I have to, so you were again right ;-)
    But they were told me to do it by backing up the DB then create a new one copy the data to the new one and then relink on it in config. Just to be sure but I don't see why as that is absolutely non sense as you risk 2 to corrupt the data while copying

Since when are you Kayako Staff?

Wfr Frank
  4. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

Hi Frank,

I became a member of kayako staff this week :) there is a topic here about it: http://forums.kayako.com/threads/a-welcome-to-gary.30778/

The advice about backing it up and restoring it is more just as a safety net, personally I would recommend doing a mysqldump to back it up ( like you should be doing anyway on a schedule ) and then once its backed up, rename it. ( then if anything does go wrong, you have the backup to restore, but I dont really see anything going wrong )

Gary