Search KnowledgeBase Enhancement Request

Discussion in 'Technical chat' started by JayF, Jun 27, 2012.

1. JayF

JayF Member

We just upgraded to V4 however the search function in the KB does not bring up a lot of our articles in the 1st position. I've learned it does not utilize the "title' of the article in the search. Our KB is setup for them to search on the 'title' so in many cases when they search the article is not listed first. We really need the search to include the article title.

1) Search title, if match list first
    2) list in descending order - remaining articles by the number of key word occurrences in the body

Any chance this can get fixed in the next release? The search function is 'criticle' for our user - otherwise the HelpDesk is rendered ineffective.

2. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

+10,000 -- Otherwise it looks like your KB is stupid. :eek:
    Actually the routine does search the title but not like you'd think. It is a keyword search only without relevance factored in for multiple keywords.

3. pol67

pol67 Reputed Member

The search function in the KB works well.
    You just perform an advanced search (wildcard, Booleane,etc).

4. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

None of that works from your visitor facing help desk KB.
    I am not sure where you think boolean works for KB in the Staff CP either.

5. pol67

pol67 Reputed Member

In our helpdesk works well.
    Small example:
    1 - Go here: https://my.kayako.com
    2 - In the search field enter:
    +product -program
    then
    -product +program
    and see the difference.

This is just a small example.

6. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

Okay, nice trick BUT...
    What visitor to your help desk is going to know "Please type your question here" actually means "enter mySQL boolean string query using proper syntax"? :)
    ABSOLUTELY NONE!

For all practical purposes, the public facing KB search DOES NOT WORK and produces UNEXPECTED RESULTS.
    Even in your example, the results are not ranked by relevance so too many articles are shown, some which of which have little or no relevance.
    Want to see even worse results? Login to my.kayako.com and perform the same search. OMG! What the heck is that?

The primary fix to this issue is to support natural language entry, rank title hits above article content, and process multiple text strings as AND logic before OR logic.
    Entering "Which product will support my program?" should locate articles with product, support and program in the titles first, then other articles based on relevancy. Any OR articles should rank last.
    There should also be an entry under Admin CP, Knowledgebase, Settings called Maximum Search Results with a default of 10.

7. JayF

JayF Member

Here's an example on our site: www.surveysquare.com/support/
    • Searching for 'Survey Options' (this is the title of the article) it shows up in the list at the 45th position!
    • You have to use the word search in your browser to find the article 'Survey Options' from the search results found.
    • When you drill down on that article it shows (again using the brower search) the key word 'Survey Options' is found 12 times within the article however the article which is listed just prior to 'Survey Options' (Sample Lists) in the original search (which I assume would have >12times the key word) does not have any! Why is the article 'Sample Lists' listed ahead of 'Survey Options'?

The search feature is not working as designed. Which makes the KB extremely ineffective for my users and potential clients!

Kayako, can you help please!!!! Can I get a response from you on this?
    If Kayako cannot resolve this issue, can you please give me a couple vendors that can fix this for us?

8. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

From what we have been able to discern, visitor search never combines words into a phrase. So "survey options" is looking for any article with survey or options anywhere in title or content without any relevance or weighed results applied.
    The only way it you'll get slightly better results is if your visitor types in "+survey +options" -- which is unlikely.
    Even then, results are not weighed by relevance or title hits first so what you expect them to find won't be at top.

9. pol67

pol67 Reputed Member

The cause of the problem is: the search does not include title.

1 - Go here: https://my.kayako.com
    2 - In the search field enter:
    "Providing Kayako with access to your support desk or server"

then

"provide setup guidance"

and see the difference.

Note: with the quotes ("example") will search for the exact phrase inside the quotes and will only list those articles that have that exact phrase.

10. pol67

pol67 Reputed Member

@JayF
    Your KB search does not work fine (bad search results).
    I suggest you try to rebuild search index.

11. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

No amount of rebuilding the search index or cache is going to fix KB search for visitors. The underlying routine is insufficient for common usage.
    Visitors aren't going to use quotes or any other syntax to locate answers. They are going to type in a question or keyword(s) and expect results to be ranked by relevance, titles first. This issue is a MAJOR shortcoming to deployment. The whole point of a KB is to make it EASY to locate answers FAST.

12. JayF

JayF Member

We performed the following from Kayako, but the issue still remains. This is going to force us to go to a 3rd party to resolve this. I really would appreicate if Kayako would respond here.

Hi Jay,
    Thank you for the update.
    Search functionality may not be working appropriately due to FullText index not present for table `swsearchindex`. To remove this, please try running following queries on MySQL CLI:

1. ALTER TABLE `swsearchindex` ENGINE=MyISAM;
    2. ALTER TABLE `swsearchindex` ADD FULLTEXT (ft);
    3. After this rebuild search index from Admin CP -> Options ->Knowledgebase -> Maintenance again.

Once done, please rebuild help desk's cache from Admin CP > Diagnostics > Rebuild Cache and perform a few tests. In addition, please try increasing the value of following setting Admin CP > Settings > General > Maximum Search Results .

In case the issue still persists, please update this ticket. I shall be glad to assist you.

13. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

The article title is actually stored in a different table to the article contents, I wonder if whats happening is its searching the article contents table, but not the title table at all. I will see if I can route out the query, as it might be possible to amend it to include both searches

Edit:

Ok, I checked it out, basically "title" and "contents" are combined, then certain words are stripped out, and then its all dumped into ft. Which means there is actually no weighting between contents and title, they are equal. Which I can well see giving mixed results for relevance depending on the search terms.

It would be a pretty easy hack to stop adding the contents into the search, but not such an easy fix to actually give title more relevance, as it would require a totally different way of storing the full text search information.

Gary

14. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

It is ridiculous if a 3rd party is required to fix this (including Gary) and that Kayako support is supplying scripts to modify the index.
    The KB is a PRIMARY FUNCTION of a help desk. The client search should simply work as most visitors expect it to work (top hits first).

We should be able to set Maximum Search Results to a low number such as 10, certainly no higher than 20.
    If relevant answers aren't found in the top 10-20 hits, there is something seriously wrong with the client search routine.

15. Gary McGrath

Hey all,

If you are self hosted, you can try this, download the file attached, and replace the origional, it will give "title" words 3 times more relavance than "body words".

Version: 4.4.1148
    file: class.Controller_Maintenance.php

1) download the file from here
    2) upload and replace the origional ( make a backup copy of the origional )
    3) Admin CP, diagnostics, rebuild cache
    4) Admin CP, Knowledgebase, maintenace, rebuild

Try your search again :)

Gary

Attached Files:

16. JaxWeather

JaxWeather Member

Has anyone tried integrating Google Custom Search as a replacement for Kayako Search?

Google search works and we would like to simply replace the search component in the Public Facing side of Kayako 4 Knowledgebase

-Bob

17. JayF

JayF Member

Gary, I tried your suggestion with the file: class.Controller_Maintenance.php
    file and did all your steps. No luck, when I tried to search for "survey options" which is the title of the article it should be listed first, but its at 40! Can you help us more with this? I'm not finding any vendors that are willing to respond to this issue.

You can try it here: https://surveysquare.com/support/

Let me know what you need, we want to get this resolved!

Thanks,
    Jay

18. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

I would hope the customer facing help desk search routine is fixed/improved in 4.50.00 as the problem is getting ridiculous.
    At this point vistors are engaging our chat operators to perform searches for them or filing tickets when they can't locate the articles they want.
    Yesterday a visitor tried to locate a self-help article for quotes, but couldn't find any because they searched for "quote" not "quotes" or "quote*".
    What is the point of a self-help KB that doesn't locate expected results?

19. Gary McGrath

Hi Jay,

The issue here I think if your domain name, its throwing that search, in your case, you need a much much higher tilt towards article titles over contents.

Try this attached file, it gives 10 times more importance to article titles. ( you will have to rebuild cache and reindex again after )

Gary

Attached Files:

20. JayF

JayF Member

Gary, thanks for the quick response. I tried it again but no change. Can you tell me if the "Rebuild Cache" runs just by navigating to that page? 3) Admin CP, diagnostics, rebuild cache - it comes up instantly, with the results "Success" but I can't tell if its actually doing anything, and I don't find any place on the page that gives me the option to run it with any kind of status icon. Any way to confirm this? The search remained the same, at the 40th position.

thanks,
    Jay