Search KnowledgeBase Enhancement Request

Discussion in 'Technical chat' started by JayF, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

Hi Jay,

You need to rebuild your helpdesk cache ( which you have done ) but you also need to reindex your entire Kb articles, e.g. admin CP, Knowledgebase, maintenance, and then click on "rebuild"

( that last bit is really important, as thats what gives your article titles the increased relevance )

Gary
  2. JayF

JayF Member

Hi Gary,

I had done both, but no change. What do you suggest?

Jay
  3. Gary McGrath

Ok, if you use an sql viewer such as phpmyadmin, look at your swsearchindex table, there should be a column called "ft"

Can you see multiple repeating words for your article titles?

Gary
  4. JayF

JayF Member

Gary, I'm getting my IT guys to do that right now. Give me a few more and I'll post you the results.
  5. JayF

JayF Member

Gary, sorry for the delay. Here's their response.

---
    Also ran the below commands to verify the duplicate records, instance in the table which do not produced any duplicate value.

SELECT COUNT(*), ft FROM swsearchindex
    GROUP BY ft
    HAVING COUNT(*)>1;

SELECT COUNT(*) AS NumOccurrences
    FROM ft
    GROUP BY *
    HAVING ( COUNT(*) > 1 );

REPAIR TABLE swsearchindex QUICK;

Can you see multiple repeating words for your article titles?" >> Please make this query clear, also I would request you to check the database developer for the same and keep us udpated to assist you further in this case.

Regards,
    Edwin
    Support Team.
  6. Gary McGrath

Hi there,

Yeah thats not quite what I meant, actually view your swsearchindex table, there is a column called ft which contains the full text search words for each article.

Visually look at the words displaying in the ft column, can you see the "article title" words repeating over and over in each row? ( if they are not, then the file I gave you must not have been installed correctly, as it should make article title words show 10 times per row to boost their relevance )

Gary
  7. JayF

JayF Member

Gary, here's their response.

Hello Jay,

I looked on to the 'ft' column with the mentioned keywords and the keywords are not present in any rows I have searched. I chekced it by the 'text' string value and the keywords are not present. There are other multiple keywords associated with each row in the column but not the one mentioned. Keep me updated to proceed further with this case.

Regards,
    Edwin
    Support Team.
  8. Gary McGrath

Hi Jay,

Can you screen shot the table, so I can see what its looking like, as the main reason we are checking this is to see if the reindex worked right, and I am not 100% sure your actually looking for what I need. ( does not have to be the entire table, just a screen shot of a page full ( ideally showing as much of the ft column contents as possible )

Gary
  9. JayF

JayF Member

Gary, here's their response with 4 attachments.

Hello,

I have attached some of the screenshots on how I have searched for the keyword on the table . pleaes note that I have used few other wild card options as well but all the images are not attached with. All the queries given the same results. Please check and keep us updated to look the issue further.

Regards,
    Edwin

Attached Files:

10. Gary McGrath

Hi Jay,

Yes I thought I had confused you somewhat, and it looks like I did

You wont see the word "article title" anywhere,

say you create a new KB article title and call it "How to reset password" and then in the body of the article you explain how you do that

In the ft index, it adds the "article title" and the "article contents" into the same row e.g. you would see in the data "reset password <some extra words here coming from the body of the article"

My mod basically makes the ft index populate with more words for article title, e.g. you would see in the data "reset password reset password reset password <some extra words here coming from the body of the article"

The idea being, then when a user simply searches for: reset password the article which had reset password in its title actuall ranks higher and shows up higher

Gary
  11. JayF

JayF Member

Gary, I'll pass your comments onto our IT guys.

If the title of the article is "Survey Options" and the body does not contain the key word in it then we would still need the article to come up first because the title matches their search. We had to pay for a custom fix to Kayako's serach with V3 - we lost that with our upgrade to V4. It worked great for us but we cannot seem to get the vendor to respond again to doing a fix in V4. It seems like you guys should be able to code this correctly and eliminate your customers from having to deal with this on their own. This should work like any search you do on the web.

Can you give me a link to a site that Does work the way we are setup using your search file so I can test it for myself?
  12. Gary McGrath

Hi Jay,

My post about was more to explain how its meant to be working, for your understanding of it.

Whats the link to your site where I can run some searches? ( you can pm it to me if you need to )

Gary
  13. JayF

JayF Member

WWW.surveysquare.com select support to get to the bd. Search for survey options we have an article for that.
  14. Gary McGrath

Hi Jay,

I have done some pretty entensive searches, and to me it looks really odd, I don't think the issue here is the actual search as when I use a search string coded specifically to bring up your article, its still way down the list

To test I copied your article contents into my knowledge base, I then searched for "survey options" and it came up at number 1.

Can you find the row in the swsearchindex that relates to that article and look at the contents of the ft column for it, can you copy and paste that here?

Gary
  15. JayF

JayF Member

see if this image is what you need.

Attached Files:

16. Gary McGrath

Hi jay,

In your phpmyadmin, can you run this query and post back a screenie of the results?

SELECT * FROM swsearchindex WHERE MATCH(ft) AGAINST ('Survey options')

it should list near the top?

Can you also make sure on the operations tab for the swsearchindex table that the Storate engine is MyISAM and collation is uft8_unicode_ci

Gary
  17. JayF

JayF Member

Gary, heres the report you requested.

Attached Files:

18. Gary McGrath

Hi Jay,

Did you check the storage engine and collation?

Gary
  19. JayF

JayF Member

I believe so this is per our IT.

Hello Jay,

I have attached the report in a PDF format i have verified the following options are checked "MyISAM and collation is uft8_unicode_ci".

Regards, Martin Support Team.
  20. Gary McGrath

Ok,

Can you try this search in phpmyadmin and see if the results are better?

SELECT * FROM swsearchindex where ((MATCH(ft) AGAINST ('"Survey Options"' IN BOOLEAN MODE) * 10)
    + (MATCH(ft) AGAINST ('Survey Options' IN BOOLEAN MODE) * 1.5))

( Basically I am trying to find a full text search which works better for you, and then we can update the one used in your install of kayako to be more relevant )

Gary