1. Welcome to the feedback forum. Here's some tips for giving your suggestions the best shot:
    • Search before posting: See if someone else has already posted your suggestion. If you add your support to an existing, you're more likely to bubble up the request.
    • Keep one suggestion to one thread: Try not to club lots of different suggestions together in one thread. Otherwise, people will get confused about what they're voting for and we might miss your feedback.
  2. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

3. The forum you are viewing relates to Kayako Classic. If you signed up or upgraded to the new Kayako (after the 4th July 2016), the information in this thread may not apply to you. You can visit the forums for the new Kayako here.

Completed SLA pause

Discussion in 'Kayako product feedback and suggestions' started by Armando Vasquez, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Drew Keller

Drew Keller Just one person in a world of millions.

This has been asked about before. And unfortunately at the moment there is no way to acheive this.

dre2007 likes this.
  2. dre2007

dre2007 Member

Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you perhaps know when this fix will be expected? Is there any work around?

3. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

I think the major issue with this is that it is not as simple as it looks, the due and resolution time "timers" are not really timers at all. When the SLA is assigned, they are given a physical "end date and time", then in the staff CP, the "end date and time" is subtracted from the "current date and time" and that is what gives you the time left counter. The ability to pause the timer would first require changing the entire due/resolution time system to a format which would better suit pausing.

Gary

4. Drew Keller

I have not seen a workaround and no idea if/when it is planned by Kayako.

5. dre2007

dre2007 Member

Gary, I always appreciate your input in threads but I prefered a different answer haha. Isn't this a major functionality for businesses to deliver accurate reports? We are using ITIL in our company and so we are also using SLA's. We ( and also other companies ) want to generate reports which show which tickets has passed their due times and with due times I mean the SLA times. If this can't be paused ( by a status ), then we can't deliver accurate reports and, back to the basics, we aren't working according to ITIL. I already asked for a work around which isn't available according to others. Can I conclude, that if we want accurate reports based on SLA's and we need to pause the SLA while awaiting for a response that this tool won't suffice? Will this be implemented in a new release? Is there anyway of how to acomplish the above?

6. dre2007

dre2007 Member

7. Drew Keller

Thanks, I did see that after I had replied. Will see what happens.

8. Gary McGrath

I think it depends on how you look at it, for example, the company I used to work for used real due times and resolution times, e.g. if you say it will be fixed in 8 hours, it has to be fixed in 8 hours. ( you could not say, well, I am waiting to hear back from someone, so I am not going to count the time passing now )

the company also ensured its suppliers had SLA's which would enable itself to meet customer SLA's.

I think honestly pausing an SLA is false and is prone to abuse, its very easy to know your not going to meet an SLA, and therefore start spamming the ticket into a paused status to delay its timer.

Edit: to answer your question, I can see how some companies might wish to do it, but Kayako currently does not have that functionality, but it is something we would consider adding, although its a major rework, so I could not see it being added anytime soon.

Gary

9. dre2007

dre2007 Member

Thanks for the prompt reply Gary. However, it is just a lack of dicipline if people abuse the status. Please allow me to convince you to see the other side of the story. If the sla is 8 hours and the customer delivered to less information to troubleshoot, then we have to email him. If the customer left for the day, then the SLA will be breached. This will look terrible in my reports. Furthermore, every agent in this organization has to add a note once they change the status with the reason, if they abuse it, they can leave. So, would you please be able to tell me and all the other people who also want to use this function ( not everybody but a lot of people ) as to if and when we can expect the function? Would you atleast provide my input in meetings where those kind of things are being discussed?

10. Gary McGrath

I can certainly see why some companies would want such a feature. I would recommend you post the request into the new, bigger features section here on the forum and we can see how many others like the idea too.

The only issue is even if its quite popular, its actually a very large change to the system, so its going to take a long while before it would actually be available within the base product.

you could contact someone like Dewak, they do custom modifications to kayako, they might be able to make these changes for you ( and certainly quicker )

Gary

11. dre2007

dre2007 Member

Gary, although the problem still persists I do appreciate the way of helping out. Thanks for all the advised, again.:) Will post it on the new bigger features session.

12. dre2007

dre2007 Member

We are using ITIL in our company and so we are also using SLA's. We ( and also other companies ) want to generate reports which show which tickets has passed their due times and with due times I mean the SLA times. If this can't be paused ( by a status ), then we can't deliver accurate reports and, back to the basics, we aren't working according to ITIL. I already asked for a work around which isn't available according to others. Example given: If a user raises an email ticket and 1 of my employees is going to asign it to a department with a status, then an SLA will be assigned. After that the employee notices, that he/she requires additional information and calls the user, line will rang out. So will email the user. In the mean time while we are awaiting for the reply, the SLA continues and will breach if it is 8 hours... You might understand that this will look terrible on the reports. I understand that people can abuse the status if they need extra time but this is just a matter of discipline isn't it. Would you please be so kind as to add the option in admin cp > tickets > under ticketoptions make an option "pause sla when ticket has been set to this status"?

13. Gary McGrath

14. Tom Lesniak

Tom Lesniak Established Member

Just brainstorming here and thinking at a high level but I think that it could be done with a new field in the database (lets call it 'time remaining'). As you say, it assigns an actual date/time for the due time, then the web figures out the due time - current time to show how much time is left. So to pause the due timer, it would need to do that calculation and put that time into the new 'time remaining' field in the DB and clear the due time. Then when the gets unpaused, it takes the 'time remaining' field and adds that to the 'current time' and that becomes the new due time.

I'm not a programmer by any means so but this seems like it should work, but since I'm not familiar with the kayako code I don't know if there are any pitfalls to this approach that wouldn't work.

15. Drew Keller

16. OVDV

OVDV New Member

+1 !

17. Patrick Stel

Patrick Stel Established Member

18. losername

losername Member

19. Keith Hubner

Keith Hubner New Member

Hi,
    The current SLA feature is quite basic and limited. SLAs are critical to a service desk as they state, from a contract point of view, the requirements of the service desk. So with that in mind, I would like to see the following improvement:
    An SLA Clock, this clock starts when a ticket is raised and is "new". The SLA then has specific timings on it which can be configured. For example, all priority calls must be responded to within 10 minutes and in the state "Workaround" within 4 hours to meet SLA. Any time where the engineer is waiting for information from the customer the SLA clock should pause. This is just one example but the SLA clock needs to be very flexible to allow for any manipulation of SLA requirements.

Any support of comments on this idea would be appreciated as I am keen to get it in the product. At present I am having to write an external program to track and alert tickets which are close to or reaching SLAs.

Thanks,
    Keith

20. Drew Keller

If you search the forum you will find alot of discussion about pausing SLA's as well as other enhancements. It is always worth doing down searching before raising a new feature request. Power in numbers and all.