SLA plan vs Annual Contract

Discussion in 'Using your helpdesk' started by bhodges, Aug 10, 2012.

1. bhodges

bhodges Established Member

I understand that SLA has nothing to do with a contract other than expected turnaround times.

Most our customers are on simple annual support contracts, so I was curious if the SLA system could be somehow used to indicate when a contract had 'expired'. Perhaps by adding an SLA for the customer when their contract is renewed, but expiring in one year.

Would there be a reasonable way to see if they weren't on a 'contract' SLA vs the 'downgrade' SLA?

Is there a better approach?
  2. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

Hi there,

I think the way you would need to do this would be user groups. You could create user groups for those with current support contracts, and those without. ( you would have manually manage additions and deletions from them )

but you could then setup SLA's which checked the users group, so the SLA's would automatically apply the correct response times depending on the user group.

Gary
  3. bhodges

We don't really have response times on our contracts.

I'm mostly trying to figure out a way to see if a contract is active or expired by using the SLA system.

Sometimes there is a disconnect between accounting and customer service. If CS knows an account has expired, they can act on it, instead of always assuming it is active, even if it isn't.

For example, we add a new customer with a one year contract. After a year, I want the SLA system to automatically make it obvious to CS they are no longer supported. Then CS can check with Accounting to make sure they have renewed. Then, just reset the expiration for another year.
  4. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

That would be a nice function, but I think it needs to be a separate feature that checks the login expiration date for a visitor/user and notifies staff answering tickets or chats with a warning flag of some sort..
  5. nibb

nibb Reputed Member

The reason I still don´t use this, is because mainly I don´t how how some things in Kayako apply in a business environment. Don´t get me wrong. Its not that I don´t know what an SLA is. Some settings are confusing in order that I don´t know how to combine stuff.

This where Kayako should really do some work. Maybe in their blog, they should write articles or tutorials on how to use Kayako on a daily basis for improving a business. Ticket flow, usual customer care department, models of how SLA can be applied, internal productivity using Kayako, etc.

Most times their blog is about some update or feature. A business blog should not be like that. Otherwise its not a blog. It should focus on topics related to their business, but not as an advertising page. But something interesting for users to read. In particular some kind of training, tutorials, etc. This would be nice to have, of course once Kayako fixes some bugs which are still here since v3.
  6. bhodges

Here's what I was able to do as a workaround. I set the default SLA plan settings to 0 hours, and changed the background color to red.

I created a basic SLA called 5x8 to represent my normal support account.

I apply the 5x8 SLA to each organization, and give it the expiration that matches their contract.

Now, if a user puts in a ticket, it goes under the 5x8 SLA if they are current/not expired.
    If their SLA has expired, the default settings make the ticket red so it stands out.

Better than nothing. Now to make a report to show who is current.