Start new ticket on reply to closed ticket

Discussion in 'Using your helpdesk' started by Nathan Underwood, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Nathan Underwood

Nathan Underwood Established Member

I've seen this mentioned a few times before and *thought* that I had it right, but apparently do not. My intention is the same as the others, but I believe that my implementation must just be wrong. We have several 'statuses' for tickets. A ticket can be a new issue (not yet 'seen' by anyone), Open (being worked on), Customer Hold (waiting on something from the customer), Vendor Hold (waiting on something from the vendor), Closed with Survey (marked as resolved and a survey email is sent), Closed without Survey (marked as resolved an no survey email is sent), Billed (bill has been sent but not paid) and Paid (self explanatory). I have a rule (Admin CP -> Mail Parser -> Rules) that has 4 critera, all marked as 'or' that says if it's equal to closed (with or without survey), billed or paid and it stops processing additional rules. On the action tab, it's set to Pre Parse, a reply is set and the option Do not parse as Ticket Reply is set to yes. I just had a client reply to a ticket with a status of 'closed with survey' though and it changed the status to open rather than creating a new ticket. What did I do wrong?
  2. Nathan Underwood

Ok, I was thinking that the box Do not parse as Ticket Reply was the magic ticket but, apparently, it is not. I just did the following test:
    - Sent email to helpdesk from gmail account
    -- It opened a new ticket
    - Replied to ticket from helpdesk
    -- Received reply at Gmail account
    - Closed ticket in helpdesk with survey
    -- received survey in Gmail account
    -- Filled out survey
    -- Saw it logged in the ticket
    -- Confirmed ticket still closed
    - Replied from Gmail account to already closed ticket
    - Confirmed that the ticket was re-opened

Is there *any way* to stop this?
  3. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

Hi Nathan,

Reopening closed tickets has always been a bit of an issue, I did create a custom fix for it, which pretty much drops the email and does not process it into a ticket, and emails back to the client informing them that they cannot reopen closed tickets.

If you are interested, this is the fix I wrote here:

Replace the default file with the one attached ( make sure to make a backup copy of it )

file: class.SWIFT_TicketEmailParser.php
    Version: 4.40.1148

Gary
  4. Nathan Underwood

I'm really trying to find something that will create one anew on our side. We have some clients that would go off the deep end if we made them take another step :)
  5. Gary McGrath

hmm, I am pretty sure the code I inserted in my mod could be amended to acheive creating a new ticket

Gary
  6. Gary McGrath

Hi Nathan,

Give this version of the file a try, it will create a new ticket is the ticket being responded to is closed.

Gary

edit: ok, reposted with the 4.40.1148 version

Attached Files:

7. Nathan Underwood

I actually got a message from the Kayako folks that there *may* be an update coming next week that *may* address this. I'm weighing my options at this time (do i install the cool new code or wait for the official release). :)
  8. Rodd

Rodd Member

We had a rule in V3 that worked. I think that in V4 they specified the criteria to be "Ticket Status (Post Parse)" which is causing the problem. What we need is a "Ticket Status (Pre Parse)." Isn't that the point of creating a pre-parse rule?
  9. Gary McGrath

There is now a specific option in the admin CP for creating a new ticket if a reply comes into a resolved ticket. ( the latest build out now )

Gary
  10. Rodd

Rodd Member

We updated from V3 to V4 (4.40.1148) 2 weeks ago. Would it be in that build? If so, where in the Admin CP? I've looked everywhere and gone through the help.
  11. Nathan Underwood

You just *barely* missed it if you're on 4.40.x, the update is (I believe) in the 4.50 update. We're itching to update [to 4.50.x] ourselves but I'm waiting on the sidelines for another week or so just to make sure that it doesn't explode for someone else :)