Urgent - Our Server is Down AGAIN - Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Using your helpdesk' started by Southerncentralrain, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Chief Limey Staff Member

This time we didn't detect any downtime, and your desk is accessible here. Can you confirm that this is the case?
  2. Southerncentralrain

Southerncentralrain Established Member

We were down a few minutes but were able to get someone on chat to take care of it quickly. We have to have someone stop what they are doing and contact Kayako every time or it will stay out for a long time. Thanks for your reply.
  3. Jamie Edwards

I'm sorry, I was mistaken. You're right - we registered a couple of minutes of downtime (it wasn't immediately obvious to me - this one was caused by a short blip of memory corruption). I think we were already on it before your chat came in. We'll have your helpdesk (and others who are similarly affected) moved very shortly.
  4. Southerncentralrain

We were down again at 11:16am CST.
  5. Jamie Edwards

This time you are up from what I can see.. can you post a tracert?
  6. Southerncentralrain

This was about 2 hours ago. We are up now. Thanks Jamie.
  7. easywebstore

easywebstore Established Member

Jamie, we are also now down its 6am GMT... we thought you had this sorted? very dissapointed.

Also its obvious you have a very widespread problem you are simply unable to sort. After months. Is there honestly any chance whatsoever you will ever be able to fix this? Within days, weeks, months?

Its seriously beyond a joke. We had a week or so with no problems (that we noticed) but I am feeling the problem has now returned? In fact the morning you promised it was fixed we had downtime then now more this morning...

If we have now been moved of the Amazon cloud then its obvious (if its the same problem) that it has nothing to do with them I guess. Any ideas?
  8. Jamie Edwards

Your helpdesk isn't inaccessible worldwide (for example, I can get on just fine) - only via a router based in Dallas. Softlayer is experiencing some problems with overheating network equipment, and are down to one problematic router in Dallas.

We have posted updates on twitter.com/kayako and my.kayako.com.

They (and we) don't expect the interruption to last long. In fact, our guys are telling me it is almost all back online. I'm sorry for any interruption you have experienced - we should be back up shortly.
  9. Jamie Edwards

We should be back in action now.

Here is the latest from the engineers:
  10. easywebstore

Thanks Jamie.
  11. ibcitourism

ibcitourism Member

some guys landed on moon '69, i just can't believe you have downtimes... :eek:
  12. BillyParadise

BillyParadise Member

When people choose the hosted version, is it because of the monthly pricing model, or the "I'm scared to run my own server"?
  13. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Kayako Staff Staff Member

Billy, I imagine its probably both the above. Actually installing fusion is pretty easy, the hard part is setting up a server with the relevent php, encoders, modules and accelerators. ( And of course, if it breaks, you have to fix it )

Gary
  14. Jamie Edwards

Although easywebstore will be over here to hit me over the head after saying this, one of the biggest selling points of the hosted platform is the speed and redundancy we're able to put behind it.

Up until now all of our hosted accounts have these kinds of features:
    • Large backup catalogue of your data, distributed around the world for redundancy
    • Static content delivered through a distribution server
    • Accelerated HTTP server (using a highly optimised nginx configuration)
    • Substantial PHP memory caching
    • Automated upgrades
    I say up until now because we are about to add in a whole lot more as standard (more soon).

It tends to be more economic to use Kayako On Demand than it is to set up and maintain this kind of infrastructure yourself (because we can scale the costings), unless you have one already.

It is just a shame that for a handful of customers, our platform of choice (AWS) has let us down quite badly. We're rectifying this though and we will make up for it as an increasing number will confirm :)
  15. easywebstore

lol Jamie, I like it...

We also sell a hosted software service so this applies to our customers also...

The reason we went hosted (technically we could have easily run our own server) was simply so we could concentrate 100% on growing our business and our own platform.

If done properly the hosted route should have allowed us to not worry about applying patches, new versions, server uptime etc... we just use the software and it helps us do our job. It sounds daft but even half a day to set up and a few hours a month to look after is a squeeze that would distract us from our main mission.

Also dont over estimate peoples technical ability, however easy it is to DIY and host it yourself theres a big group of people who wouldnt be able to technically. They still have businesses and need to communicate with customers so theres a big market for hosted there also.
  16. Southerncentralrain

We are down again and can't get any help right now. We have been down a few times over the last day or two but I am traveling so I couldn't post. Now, all of our employees are at a standstill.

We have been told that they are moving servers tomorrow but I will be surprised if this helps (I think we have done this before). Very frustrating.
  17. Southerncentralrain

It is now back up.
  18. Jamie Edwards

We can do it sooner for you if you like. The service interruption will be around 15-30 minutes at most.
  19. Southerncentralrain

Jamie,

Thanks for the offer but they are planning on doing it tonight so that should be fine. We have our fingers crossed.
  20. Southerncentralrain

They migrated our server at the end of last week and we are still having problems. We are currently down again.