1. Welcome to the feedback forum. Here's some tips for giving your suggestions the best shot:
    • Search before posting: See if someone else has already posted your suggestion. If you add your support to an existing, you're more likely to bubble up the request.
    • Keep one suggestion to one thread: Try not to club lots of different suggestions together in one thread. Otherwise, people will get confused about what they're voting for and we might miss your feedback.
  2. Kayako Download customers: we will continue to develop and support Kayako Download beyond July 2017, alongside the new Kayako for existing customers.

Find out more.

3. The forum you are viewing relates to Kayako Classic. If you signed up or upgraded to the new Kayako (after the 4th July 2016), the information in this thread may not apply to you. You can visit the forums for the new Kayako here.

We are looking for feedback!

Discussion in 'New Support Site Feedback' started by Gary McGrath, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Gary McGrath

Gary McGrath Staff Member

Hi all,

We have just updated our support site ( support.kayako.com )

We would really like to hear what you think of our next major release of Kayako. What we have done well, what we have done bad, maybe there is something we have not thought about?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Kayako Community Forum Team

2. Phil R

Phil R Established Member

I'm really interested in a tour of the staff interface from a usability point of view, the administration from a configuration point of view and details on capabilities in terms of customisation / developing / extending.

Getting feedback on just the user interface is going to be tough, as your target audience for the forum, it those that have to handle the delivery of the other 3/4 as well.

Just from a top level on that remaining 1/4rd though.

The interface is very clean and by comparison, it's very bland. It is that reason I would desire a tour /details of the customisation side of things, as I not sure we would consider it of use if that themeing would remain as is.

Other than that, three things I am critical of (well, two, one is a question).

The "How can we help you?" jumbotron. Jumbo it is.

On my laptop, this and the header use up 4/5ths of my screen (vertically) and my work desktop, it uses ~1/2. Can you imagine how much white space that leaves on the screen?

When logged in, other than the "Submit a request" link in the top right, it's not immediately obvious what else you can do outside of the "How can we help you?" box

The screen estate issue accounts for some of it, as below the "Latest Updates" I find the "You have 2 open requests" (the bottom of the 2nd page on the laptop, top of the 2nd on the work machine).

Finally, in V4 (including your site), we could update the properties of a ticket, including the priority. Being able to change the priority as a customer is of critical importance, as the flow of a ticket as it chops and changed helps us understand the anatomy of an event. This doesn't seem to be possible now, or at least in the settings current in place. Is that intended? Is it flexible? What's the crack here?

3. bear

bear Kayako Guru

Was about to post about the "jumbotron". Seriously, 360 pixels of page height for that? Enough with puffy designs. Not everyone is using a tablet, so maybe that should be toned down a whole lot.

4. Mimue

Mimue Established Member

Hi Gary,

Where can I switch languages so that ticketing, knowledgebase, news, FAQ and anything else is in the correct language?
    I hope that with V5 you will start with the long time promised multilingual helpdesk?

Of course, I don´t need it on your website - but my customers will look for it at first!

Best regards,
    Michael.

5. Gary McGrath

Hi Michael,

The language switcher will be at the top, next to the submit a request link, we have it disabled at the moment as we do not have alternate language items for our KB. But the new help center supports full localization :)

What do you think of the new help center?

Gary

6. Gary McGrath

Hey bear,

Thanks for your thoughts, keep them coming if you have any other observations. Let us know what you like, and what you don't.

This is our first build, so its the perfect time for us to change things if we have got it wrong.

Kind regards,

Gary

7. Gary McGrath

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the detailed thoughts! I have passed everyone's comments directly to our product team. In terms of how configurable the help center is, it will be very customizable. We are not sharing the staff or admin panel yet as these are not fully completed and have not been polished, we focused on the user experience first. I believe users will be able to change the priority of their requests, but I will double check to confirm.

Gary

8. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

Try accessing the site from a smartphone or tablet. I think that explains why the initial release looks like it does in terms of responsive design.
    On the other hand if your visitors will mostly be desktop users, the design isn't ideal for them.
    I assume you will be able to tweak it extensively but it would be nice to have more than one default layout design to choose from.

9. bear

bear Kayako Guru

Maybe they should have to try and sniff devices like the rest of us have to, and deliver phone design for phone, desktop for desktops and so on. ;)
    It's painful, I know...but really. If you're going to give up on desktop design and just go full on phone, say so. :)

10. Mimue

Mimue Established Member

Hi Gary,

for me it looks very good.
    Our IT just created a ticket. - without the ID in the Subject? Nice.

Just keep in mind the above posts from bear and masterctrl1. Because this is very true and in the end this could look cheep very quick.
    We are seeing more and more sites with this kind of style ....

One problem for your international customers: the character settings. Just raised a ticket and your team received only the half because of an address with an ö .

The ticket broke before the ö. Just have a look at the attached... So you have received the half of our questions, only.

Many thanks.

Best regards,
    Michael.

Attached Files:

11. bear

bear Kayako Guru

12. Mimue

Mimue Established Member

Yes, very interesting :)

Thats exactly what I meant above, too.
    So many websites are coming up with similar support area looks.

In the end we are all dealing with more or less the same ... most of us need a self service area, a FAQ, KB, Download section and a section for getting in touch.

13. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Staff Member

14. Phil R

The layout from Kayako is indeed somewhat like most helpdesk solutions, or for that matter, responsive applications that are not user interface intensive.

My primary problems was just how much less screen estate Kayako used by comparison. The colour scheme has a lot to do with that.

Slack as an example, is very similar in the physical waste, but the colours, watermarking and images break so much of the white up by comparison.

15. bear

bear Kayako Guru

Less?
    Kayako's "jumbotron" is 360 pixels tall, while the one at MS was around 320. That would be more than MS, not less. ;)
    The one at slack is 360 until you scroll down then that top slides down to make it 320. Also less than Kayako.

All of those are probably 200 pixels taller than they need to be. Kind of reminds me of being in school and being asked to write a 500 word essay. You fill with whatever you can to make it look like you have more content, instead of just creating that content.
    I'm done, no sense beating that horse any more. :p

16. Phil R

That is less, but it's a terminology / phraseology thing. I am in complete agreement with you.

MS have done more inside that little 320px real-estate. The font is bigger, the input box is too.

Kayako have done less with that 360 px.

In the words of Will Ferrell, look at all the room for activities.

17. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

It must have something to do with responsive design control in the markup language.
    View any of the three sites on your smartphone and the jumobtron effect is gone.

18. Gary McGrath

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank you all for the continued feedback, we have passed on all the comments to our design team who are going to revisit the jumbotron ( this is now a phase we are using internally lol )

Keep the feedback coming!

Gary

19. bear

bear Kayako Guru

Have to say I love that. Hilarious. :p

20. Jamie Edwards

Jamie Edwards Staff Member

He isn't kidding :D

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 18.30.43.png