WHMCS integration

Discussion in 'Apps and modifications' started by ironfist, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ironfist

ironfist Established Member

anyone done a module for this by any chance ?

I actually contacted these guys for a quote to make this module
    http://www.kayako-solutions.com
    aka
    www.holbi.co.uk

And was rather shocked to be told this:-

We never give the IP to the client. Under our terms the IP belongs to us and the
    client gets a non-exclusive license to use the solution however they like it except
    for competing with us.

I found this rather unusual, but if that is they way the work then fine, but it was the ultimatum they then gave me that really shocked me.

If client is not happy with it - we would not be able to develop the module for him and will not sell it
    to him in the future. "

some would call that blackmail.
  2. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott Established Member

Russmichaels,

May it be known to you that it is a common practice in our industry. Our whole pricing model is based on the fact that we grant all our clients a non-exclusive royalty-free license to use the software and modify it in any way shape or form, but NOT to RE-SELL it!

Now we won't be able to sell you the module in the future as you are set to re-sell it to your own customers which consequently will cause us to lose our clients. We should also note that blackmailing is an offence under UK laws and we would have never ever been engaged with anything illegal.

Regards,
    Andrew Scott
  3. TheOne

TheOne New Member

hmm, we have outsourced work to many agencies and have never experienced this. If we pay to have software developed then we expect to own it, we would never pay a company to develop software for us and then allow them to resell it to others.
  4. Andrew Scott

Our terms of service have always been as clear as possible - http://www.kayako-solutions.com/termsofservice/, http://www.holbi.co.uk/terms-of-service/ .

We've always reserved the right to charge 50% of the purchase price as a reselling fee, should our customers want to resell the software. We've been in this business for over 12 years and such approach has always been the backbone of our pricing model. Mr Russmichaels was offered to pay the reselling fee but unfortunately he refused to do it, therefore we didn't grant him the right to resell our module.

Nonetheless, we always welcome new partners and resellers of our solutions and would be happy to discuss business development opportunities with an interested party.

regards,
    Andrew Scott
  5. TheOne

TheOne New Member

hmm, but resorting to blackmail is hardly ethical is it ?
  6. Andrew Scott

Once again, I reiterate - blackmail is a serious offence under the UK law, and we would never ever have been involved in anything illegal. Mr Russmichaels was highly careless to have used that word with regard to our company, as we did nothing of the sort.
  7. ironfist

ironfist Established Member

You said: If client is not happy with it - we would not be able to develop the module for him and will not sell it
    to him in the future. "

I think it speaks for itself.
  8. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

Blackmail my ass. Where have you guys been sourcing stuff? This is common practice as Holbi mentions.
    Pay $X/hour for IP you don't own or $Y/hour for documented code you do own (usually 2-3x as much).
    When you source custom modules for a 3rd party platform (like Kayako), it is also dumb to go with option B. Option A offers a higher likelyhood of low-cost updates if the base platform changes or you want enhancements -- as long as there are enough users running the custom module. Option B means pay for every little change at a much higher cost.
  9. TheOne

TheOne New Member

hmmm, if someone says to me "you either buy it now on these terms or we will never let you buy it" then I would also take that as blackmail too, not really sure how else you could take that.
  10. Andrew Scott

Dear TheOne,

Unfortunately in our business we can not afford to create competitors in our own field. Therefore if someone says they want to buy a product and then start selling it and they are not willing to pay a very reasonable extra for this opportunity we can only very politely refuse to sell them the product. If you are in product development yourself I'm sure you understand why we have to do it this way.

regards,
    Andrew Scott
  11. TheOne

TheOne New Member

Andrew, sorry but that is a crock. You do not currently have such a product, nor will you have such a product until someone has paid you to develop it. So you are not creating competitors at all, you are simply stopping your clients from selling something they paid for in the first place.
    If I went to a carpenter and asked him to make me a custom bed using my own design and he told me "I will make you this bed for $500 but you will never be allowed to sell it someone else or use your design again, but I will be able to sell your design to anyone I choose". "If you do not accept my terms then I will make the bed anyway using your design but will refuse to sell it to you".
    then this would be blackmail.
    What you are doing is exactly the same.
  12. masterctrl1

masterctrl1 Kayako Guru

Andrew -- I sugggest you don't bother responding. Some people never get it and never will.
    All this person is going to do is drag out the same dumb argument ad nauseum.
    Just ask Jamie to remove the thread entirely since it's inflammatory and untrue.
  13. Sparrow-Sean

Sparrow-Sean Established Member

Andrew,

Sorry, I wouldn't pay you either. I mean if I was paying for a script I would expect to have full rights to it, I mean for me to pay you for a custom script for you to then now allow me to utilize it to full potential is pretty sad if you were to ask me - no offense to your business ethics and what you plan to achieve but honestly if I wanted a custom integration I wouldn't want you to resell what I had bought from you, it's basically pointless.

Otherwise your scripts are heavily priced up, so I wouldn't spend the extra money for each of your scripts, they are just too - expensive.